--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra <no_reply@...> wrote:

> RESPONSE: Barry was giving it to Robin with both barrels. [Curtis to Judy]
>
> Well, my friend, this *is* bullshit. Because it implies some equivalence of
> engagement and honesty and sincerity.

ME: No it doesn't.  It means he went after you enthusiastically. It denies the
possibility for any "equivalence of engagement and honesty and sincerity:.

R:  Barry has scrupulously avoided any real contact with me, so as to
demonstrate he is willing to stand behind what he says. "Barry was giving it to
Robin with both barrels". No, Curtis, Barry was "giving it to Robin" in a form
of scattershot carelessness and impetuous pique which could never be understood
by any honest bystander as "giving it to me with both barrels".

ME: OK if that characterization works better for you. I guess we have a
different view of what the analogy "both barrels" implies.  For me it is
full-on aggression.

R:
> F**k me. I *wish* Barry would give it to me with both barrels. But he never
> will, Curtis.

ME: You are including more in the metaphor than I did.  I don't know why you
are taking me to task for having a slightly different take on what "both
barrels" includes.

> Now look: I take back nothing of what I have just said in that letter; I will
> only say that this invidious (and implied) comparison is baffling to me.

ME:  I didn't say it was justified, I meant it was enthusiastic.  Obviously
given the difference in our interactions I didn't agree with his take on you.
But it was both forceful and hostile which is what the image of both barrels
means to me.

R:

> Just out with it: Stand behind this one declarative statement: "Although I
> like both of them, in my judgment Barry is giving it to Robin in principle at
> least the same way Robin is giving it to Barry."

ME: I think he took an instant dislike to you and spent some time expressing
it.  I don't believe that his initial attack was warranted and it put you in a
weird defensive posture.  You tried to work with it to get past that hostility
but it did not work.  Barry is not going to budge about his initial negative
assessment of you no matter what you respond with.  So the two barrels don't
imply that there is a balance in how you have related to each other.  He went
after you and I believe you found it perplexing at first.  But now that you
know who you are dealing with you can decide how much attention to spend on
interactions with him.  This is a plant that will not grow without water.

> Then I shall believe that you believe what you say to Judy here, that "Barry
> was giving it to Robin with both barrels".

ME: I also believe that he was not interacting with you so much as an
impression he gleaned about how you operate connected with his experience of
people (especially leaders) in spiritual groups.  You got pied.  It is
disconcerting I know.  But in my view he was giving it to you with both barrels
of hostility.

R:

> Barry will have loved that you said that, Curtis, but I know *for a fact*
> that this is not your true judgment of what Barry is doing when he goes off
> on Robin.
>
> Must it come to this kind of politics?

ME:  I think you read too much into the metaphor.  It was not meant to give
Barry a chuckle but to sum up how I saw his hostile approach to you.  Would it
help if I characterized it as mean?  But I don't need to chase after Barry with
my opinion, he knows what he was doing.

R:

> No matter. My letter stands—but so does my post to Judy.
>
> If I were you, Curtis, I would, in my off-line correspondence with Barry,
> risk edifying him about how he comes off here at FFL.

ME: Barry and I rarely discuss FFL.  We are usually working on such different
tracks here.  I have long conversations with Judy and you and he would rather
grill his genitals on a Hibachi than engage in either discussions.  I am only
concerned with how we relate, not how he chooses to relate to others.  I am not
interested in getting involved in a no win situation getting between people who
don't like each other or who (in this case) Barry has taken an instant dislike
to.  The way you and I have communicated is enough information about who we
both are for people to make a more informed decision about us.  That is good
enough for me.  I can't make anyone read anything or see what I see in people.

> Meanwhile I shall just trust in the wisdom which makes you say what you say
> here to which I have responded.

ME: Thanks for the response.  I am still processing it all.