> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 3:44 AM, turquoiseb
> no_reply@...:
> > >
> > > *When the craziness of the TMO starts to get to you, or you find
> yourself
> > > shaking your head in disbelief at the off-the-wallness of either
> Nabby's
> > > Benjamin Creme or the antics of the RC cult back in his "I can
> identify the
> > > demons within you" days, articles like this can put things into
> > > perspective. This one reminded me that cults have been around for a
> long
> > > time, and some of the older ones were even weirder than the modern
> ones. At
> > > least the TMO has never promised to fly your soul up Uranus. :-)*
> > >
> http://www.salon.com/2011/11/11/the_lunatic_cult_that_history_forgot/sin\
> gleton
> <http://www.salon.com/2011/11/11/the_lunatic_cult_that_history_forgot/si\
> ngleton>
> >
> > I don't find this strange at all.   What I found strange was having to
> get
> > your compass out before meditating.   Scraping your tongue, shaving,
> > slathering your body with oil all after eating your stewed apple.
> Pulling
> > out your compass to figure out which direction to do asanas, pranayam,
> > meditation and the sidhis.  Making sure your head was ever in the
> right
> > direction when you rested or slept.   Having your food grown and
> prepared
> > by sidhas, transforming your food with special prayers before eating
> it.
> > Keeping track of the time so you could change the Ghandarva CD or tape
> at
> > just the right moment.  This was a real problem at night, since you
> tended
> > to sleep then.  Buy a timeshare on MIU or face certain demise.   Have
> > pundit blow in your ear and then into a bottle of spring water, which
> > spring water you replenished before it emptied so the Woo Woo would
> > propagate from old to new water.  I sometimes wondered what would
> happen if
> > I poured the contents of the water into the toilet in New York City.
> Would
> > there be giant, stoned alligators cured of some malady because the
> water
> > they swam in was infused with Woo Woo?    Would all the marajuana
> growing
> > in the sewers the alligators fed off of grow with special qualities?
> > Would I be struck down by lightening if I smelled the flowers or blew
> out
> > the incense?   I could go on and on.
>
> Good point. There is strange, and then there is strange. I may
> no longer find spiritual teachers/healers/charlatans themselves
> interesting, but I never cease to be fascinated by the things their
> [...]

Nice summary of  good points, Barry.  I recognize all of them in myself to some
extent.  Makes me wonder too about the issue of age.  I suspect that if you get
into a spiritual group during those vulnerable years say between 18 and 28, you
forever remain at least a tad susceptible to the usual hooks.  And then there
is the human nervous system -s eems to need stories, beginnings and endings,
good v evil.  We all love that ability to categorize/label/neaten up the mess
of life - whether in a movie, in fairy tales, novels or in our own lives.