On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM, emptybill <emptyb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Lucky you. Do you remember any of it?
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@...> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM, emptybill emptybill@... wrote:
> >
> > > In the earlier days of the USA, college students in humanities were
> > > required to learn Latin and/or Greek if they hadn't already learned
> one
> > > or both in high school (particularly Catholic schools).
> > >
> > > Of  course we no longer teach such "irrelevant" stuff, except to
> > > classics majors.
> > >

> > I had a very special HS education.   4 years of Latin, 4 years of
> Greek, 1
> > year of German (German 4), plus of course all of the AP courses.  I
> feel so
> > very lonely in tech work, especially since it's so dominated by
> Indians.  I
> > receive the most ambiguous memos.   I sent an email to a member of
> > management that I could not attend a meeting announced on Wednesday to
> be
> > held on Friday.   The response I got back was that he'd try to
> reschedule
> > it for tom.   Now did he mean reschedule it just for me or reschedule
> it
> > for Thursday?

Yes, I remember of a lot of my declensions and conjugations.   I can still
recite major works.   We had to read and critique a major piece of
literature (in English) every week.  A pity I was so young and immature to
appreciate the works.  I pick up a classic now, say *Moby Dick*, and I'm
enthralled by the richness, the biblical references, the symbolism.  But
now I have the time to savor a piece.  In HS had to race thru to get on to
everything else.  I still remember my Calculus I-IV I took in college and
still love Thermo and Physical Chemistry but I swear to tell you that both
heat and cold flow.   Put your hand up against a window pane during a FF
winter and you can verify that cold flows :D.   All that and the most math
I've ever used afterwards was solving for a or b in an equation y=ax+b.