Judy, interesting.  I've been thinking recently about how ancestral traits are
transferred down through the generations.  For the Germans, is seems that a
strong work ethic is one of them as is a perfectionistic trait.

I was reading my maternal grandfather's story last night.  Us grandkids loved
him dearly.  He was born in 1904 and died at the age of 99.5.  His father died
when he was 14 and he entered Stanford at 16, was one of the first graduating
Stanford class of aeronautical engineers, and helped design the C-54, used in
the Berlin Airlift. He was always proud of this.

My ma had someone come in and tape/interview him when he was 92 and wrote it up
for the family.  It was a great idea.

His words on parenting, politics, and religion follow.

Re: Parenting.

Grandpa states:  "One thing that my parents had in common was the way they
couldn't stand braggarts and arrogant people.  My father gave me very little
praise and my mother likewise.  They thought too much praise would spoil a
child.  My father had a lot of difficulty expressing any form of loving or
emotional feelings and I think that's characteristic of the whole Buckwalter
family.  The Buckwalters don't want to show how they're feeling.  They don't
show affection either.  They tend to be rather critical, and I guess they're
perfectionistic - all of them.  I think the most important thing that I learned
from my father was perseverance. My father never gave up.  He always used to
say.."If the thing is worth doing at all, it is worth doing well."

Re: Politics.

As background, my great-great grandfather moved from PA to Kentucky and then
settled in Mississippi and started the J.R. Buckwalter Lumber Company. Grandpa
strongly believed that the government should not take what he and his
forefathers had worked so hard to accumulate and conserve.

Grandpa states: "Politically, I've always been conservative.  My parents were
Republicans and my grandparents were too.  Even in Mississippi, where the South
was supposed to be Democrat, all of the Buckwalters were generally Republicans."

Re: Religion.

Grandpa states:  "I don't think it's right to pray for something for yourself
and then in the next breath to say everything is in God's hands.  If there is a
God, I can't believe that he concerns himself with these things or with us as
individuals.  There must be some universal intelligence that controls the
universe - and an ant is no less important than a human being.  There are a lot
of people that don't believe that, though.  They believe implicitly in the
religious claim of creation.  They believe that God created man and therefore
man is superior. Here I am - I can't accept that man was created as a superior
being.  I can't believe that and I couldn't believe that.  I guess I'm an
atheist, but I can't consider myself irreligious because I have great respect
for whatever created our universe.  I keep hoping that someone will come up
with some sort of proof.  Scientists are making progress in finding out how the
universe works and how it
 got started.  They've already given us an indication of the extent of the
universe - that it's unlimited.  We're all living together in this universe.
We're on one little-bitty speck of it, and I guess as human beings we aren't
any more important in the vast scheme of things than an ant, or a bird, or any
other living thing."