Spencer Wells and his team spent four years gathering DNA
information from 350,000 people of diverse backgrounds.
Excellent documentary in National Geographic, narrated by
actor Kevin Bacon, that puts Texan geneticist, Dr. Spencer
Wells, front and center.  The Harvard-educated scientist
explains to us all the roads mankind took out of Africa,
reveals our common ancestral birthplace and what our DNA and
genetic markers reveal of our ancient ancestors' paths; all
unique migrations that saw some of the earliest descendants
of Mitochondrial Eve, our common African Über-Great
Grandmother, head North, East, and West.

Dr. Spencer Wells fascination with the past has led the
scientist, author, and documentary filmmaker to the farthest
reaches of the globe in search of human populations who hold
the history of humankind in their DNA. By studying
humankind's family tree he hopes to close the gaps in our
knowledge of human migration.

A National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence, Wells is
spearheading the Genographic Project, calling it "a dream
come true." His hope is that the project, which builds on
Wells's earlier work (featured in his book and television
program, The Journey of Man) and is being conducted in
collaboration with other scientists around the world, will
capture an invaluable genetic snapshot of humanity before
modern-day influences erase it forever.

Wells's own journey of discovery began as a child whose
interests led him to the University of Texas, where he
enrolled at age 16, majored in biology, and graduated Phi
Beta Kappa three years later.

He then pursued his Ph.D. at Harvard University under the
tutelage of distinguished evolutionary geneticist Richard
Lewontin. Beginning in 1994, Wells conducted postdoctoral
training at Stanford University's School of Medicine with
famed geneticist Luca Cavalli-Sforza, considered the "father
of anthropological genetics." It was there that Wells became
committed to studying genetic diversity in indigenous
populations and unraveling age-old mysteries about early
human migration.

Wells's field studies began in earnest in 1996 with his
survey of Central Asia. In 1998 Wells and his colleagues
expanded their study to include some 25,000 miles (40,000
kilometers) of Asia and the former Soviet republics. His
landmark research findings led to advances in the
understanding of the male Y chromosome and its ability to
trace ancestral human migration. Wells later went to Oxford
University, where he served as director of the Population
Genetics Research Group of the Wellcome Trust Centre for
Human Genetics at Oxford.

Following a stint as head of research for a
Massachusetts-based biotechnology company, Wells made the
decision in 2001 to focus on communicating scientific
discovery through books and documentary films.

Since the Genographic Project began, Wells's work has taken
him to over three dozen countries, including Chad,
Tajikistan, Morocco, Papua New Guinea, and French Polynesia,
and he recently published his second book, Deep Ancestry:
Inside the Genographic Project. He lives with his wife, a
documentary filmmaker, in Washington, D.C.

On "The Human Family Tree," NGC producers trace the
ancestral footsteps of all humanity in a very bold
experiment. On one day, on just one street in Queens, New
York, National Geographic and the Genome project collected
DNA from hundreds of random neighbors.

This was part of the landmark genographic project led by the
National Geographic Society and corporate underwriter IBM to
map out how people originally populated our planet. There
are now over 350,000 participants, myself included, in this
ongoing study.

You can go to the Nat Geo website and order a kit for
yourself, and find out where your DNA traveled through time:
LINK

Dr. Wells, obviously, mother Africa, we all come from, and
the human race then spread out. What caused aborigines to be
aboriginal, Caucasians to be Caucasians, Mongoloids to be
Mongoloids? What caused these distinctive racial categories?

SPENCER WELLS: Great question. First, they are really only
skin deep. So we all came out of Africa within the last
60,000 years. We are all effectively members of an extended
African family, and we've come back together in places like
Queens. But over that 60,000 years, we scattered like the
wind around the world, and we adapted to the different
climates and the places where we lived.

So people, as they moved out of the tropics, had to lose
some of the pigmentation in their skin that they needed to
protect themselves from the sun in the tropics. We actually
have to let some UV light through to make Vitamin D.

So that's the reason people in Northern Europe have lighter
skin. Probably something Darwin called sexual selection,
choosing people we mate with on the basis of what we find
attractive, that varies according to where you are in the
world. That probably played a role as well, probably random
events. Small populations moving around, tiny genetic
changes get fixed.

How many original humans do people get traced back to?

Dr. SPENCER WELLS: Well, we can trace back to single
individuals on these lineages. So we are looking at pieces
of DNA that don't go through a shuffling process in every
generation that most of the genome does, and therefore, they
trace pure, direct lineages back in time to a single
individual who gave rise to all of the Y chromosomes, the
male lineages in the world, and all of the mitochondrial
types, the female lineages.

But in terms of the initial population in Africa, it turns
out that if we look at the pattern of generic variation
across the whole genome, probably as few as 2,000 people
were alive 70,000 years ago. We were on the verge of
extinction, and we came back from that.

We became smarter. We developed better technologies. That
allowed the population in Africa to expand and ultimately to
spread around the world.

So we are all one big happy family. But did we stem from the
same group? Obviously, bucking Genesis, we didn't just
spring from Adam and Eve. There was development and man
standing up and walking and all. But was there spontaneous
human development around the world at the time?

Dr. SPENCER WELLS: Right. You are asking about a theory that
the anthropologists called multiregionalism. The genetic
evidence is that we all came out of Africa very recently. We
all trace back to a small African population within the last
60,000 years.

How long does the entire process take from the time you do
the swab to the results?

Dr. SPENCER WELLS: Well, for most people who order the kits
over the Internet and go onto the website and who find out
about the project and so on, it takes about six weeks to get
your results back.

They are all delivered anonymously. There's a code that goes
into each kit. So there's no name attached to it. But it
takes about six weeks, typically.