--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> I have fond memories of that book.  It was pieced together from small SRM
> pamphlets.  I have a few copies of them somewhere.  I would be curious to see
> if they edited the material at all from the original.
>
> I first read it when I was 10 years old on Nantucket Island while on vacation
> with my parents. That would have been 1967.  My brother bought the book as an
> excuse to hide on the beach and smoke cigarettes away from my parents at age
> 15.  I don't believe I got through the whole thing then and am sure he didn't.
>
> It sat in my brother's bookshelf till I found it at age 16 right before I
> started.  It's spine was riddled with the bbs holes that marked most of the
> book spines in his bookshelf, but I still have the copy in my Maharishi stuff
> box.
>
> I really would be curious if they left it alone or messed with it like they
> did Hermit in the House.
>
> When I was at MIU I had a chance to read through a bunch of transcripts of
> talks Maharishi gave in India in the early 60's.  It included some wacky
> stuff including entering another body if yours wears out so you can continue
> your yoga.  It is far from the sanitized Maharishi teaching they present
> today including his wacky two nervous systems ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomic_nervous_system
It is classically divided into two subsystems: the parasympathetic nervous
system (PSNS) and sympathetic nervous system (SNS).[1][2] Relatively recently,
a third subsystem of neurons that have been named 'non-adrenergic and
non-cholinergic' neurons (because they use nitric oxide as a neurotransmitter)
have been described and found to be integral in autonomic function,
particularly in the gut and the lungs.[3]

With regard to function, the ANS is usually divided into sensory (afferent) and
motor (efferent) subsystems. Within these systems, however, there are
inhibitory and excitatory synapses between neurons.

 But it would be nice if they were more honest about his actual teaching and
how it progressed through his life, published it all and let people choose for
themselves what they think.  I have no skin in the game now but if I was still
involved I would be really pissed to still be denied access to his full
teaching.