sparaig:
> one of my favorite quotes from MMY:
>
> Spiritual and Material Values
>
> "Every experience has its level of physiology, and
> so unbounded awareness has its own level of physiology
> which can be measured. Every aspect of life is integrated
> and connected with every other phase. When we talk of
> scientific measurements, it does not take away from the
> spiritual experience. We are not responsible for those
> times when spiritual experience was thought of as
> metaphysical. Everything is physical. Consciousness is
> the product of the functioning of the brain. Talking of
> scientific measurements is no damage to that wholeness
> of life which is present everywhere and which begins to
> be lived when the physiology is taking on a particular
> form. This is our understanding about spirituality: it
> is not on the level of faith --it is on the level of
> blood and bone and flesh and activity. It is measurable."
>
> -Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

There is an element of faith in accepting the premise that
there is such a spiritual state - enlightenment. The
enlightenment tradition in India was founded by Shakya the
Muni, the first historical yogin (circa 563 BCE).

But, I'm not convinced that enlightenment has a set of
physical corollaries that manifests itself in the body
- an enlightened person might have the same physical
attributes as an un-enlightened person.

Enlightenment is a psycological experience - an awareness
of being aware - it's just a mental outlook.

"Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After
enlightenment; chop wood, carry water." - Hsin Hsin Ming