cardemaister:
> Basics of Sanskrit grammar in a couple of minutes?

The first thing to be done is to memorize the Sankrit
ABCs and be able to recognize them on flash cards.

Then, you can go on to grammar and syntax. This will
take at least an hour or two, unless you have a
photographic memory, or live in Finland and can
read and write five languages already.

<http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Sanskrit-National-Integration-Language/dp/B\
000SUVSTE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1323961726&sr=8-15>
Obviously the Indo-European language group
must have existed for a long time previous to the
Aryan migration into India. However, written history
begins with the historical Buddha in India, around
300 B.C., on the Ashokan Pillars.
Sanskrit is a dead language now and hardly anyone
reads Sanskrit literature anymore. In India the ability
to recite the Vedas has almost died out - only a few
pandits are left.

It may be that Sanskrit was never a spoken language
in India. I don't have a linguistic predeliction myself
but I have discussed this with one of my teachers who
is an expert in Vedic literature. According to Patrick
Olivelle, Chairman of the Department of Asian Studies
at the U. of Texas at Austin, the Vedas were probably
composed around 1500 B.C.

Most historians agree with this date for the Aryan
immigration into the five rivers area; that's the date of
the composition of the Rig Veda. Many archaeologists
also agree with this scenario and there is serious doubt
that the Indo-European language group 'came out of
India', rather the reverse, that the Indo-Iranian
language came to India from Persia and Avestan
sources.
Titles of interest:
'The Upanishads'
Translated by Patrick Olivelle, Ph.D.
Oxford World's Classics
http://tinyurl.com/558mg <http://tinyurl.com/558mg>
Amazon ships in about 24 hours
Patrick Olivelle is the Chairperson of the Department
of Asian Studies at the U. of Texas at Austin.