and ..I'll never desert you…  what a line at FFL:D

L'Homme du Train, that remake  interests me quite a bit not only because
of the reference of Certainty vs Uncertainty of Life

=e&var=1&tidx=1
http://tinyurl.com/7xc2o2p

  Patrice Leconte (the original version) specializes in miniatures,.small
films with small casts in minimal settings. They are, in other words,
very "theatrical", depending very much on character and nuance rather
than plot. And when it comes to theatre, every time a play reopens
somewhere, it's a "re-make", actually a "re-think" a "re-image". And who
would refuse to see yet another Hamlet because "duh, I already seen it"?
But Man on the train (  quite similiar to the remake of Straw Dogs,) was
almost a scene for scene remake of the original just in a different
location, and a little different order...pointless. with such a director
and cutter.. oh forget   little adapted line  with references and quotes
by EE Cummings, Bukowsky, Henry James etc
NO---maskedzebra would have done a better (my apologies) script writing

A couple of years back, Leconte has delivered another gem his "Monsieur
Hire" with another dreamy ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elNCMX8EzAM

Monsieur Hire tells the moving story of a voyeuristic misanthropic
tailor – a middle-aged, bald tailor much hated in his apartment
complex by both elders and children alike for apparently no reason. When
a a young teenage girl is murdered nearby, Monsieur Hire becomes the
No-1 suspect of the police but Monsieur Hire is drawn into a different
drama. He falls in love with Alice, the object of his voyeuristic
fascination
The setting is a dimly-lit corner  Monsieur Hire is begging her to come
away with him to Lausanne and hands her the train ticket:

"He isn't worthy of you. I know he means a lot to you. I can make you
forget him. It's okay if you love him more at first. I'll be
patient…All, I want is for you to smile again. I love it when you
do. Alice, I'm a man of my word. I'll never desert you…."

While the above scene was superb, the crowning glory of the movie comes
toward the end when Monsieur Hire returns home from the train station
and finds Alice and the police inspector in his home. In one of the most
touching scenes , Monsieur Hire, wearing an expression of infinite
sadness on his face, says:

     "You'll think me a fool, Alice. But I don't feel any anger. Just a
deathly sadness. But never mind, you gave me my greatest joy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwI-sszjQ70

Monsieur Hire is based on the novel by Georges Simenon. Original music
by Michael Nyman.and Johannes Brahms Quatuor en Sol Mineur Op. 25.

Oh, almost  forgot to tell you that  Patrice Leconte originally wanted
to "make  a remake "of Panique  by Julien Duvivie and Barrio by Ladislao
Vajda .

For  Bairitu and Emily  et al:
Monsieur Hire is available at the online DVD rental service Netflix.
Don't worry if you can't follow French because the movie has English
subtitles.-Barry Wright will certainly find his way...
knowing Americans hates film with subtitle still nourish the hope  of no
US remake
MERRY CHRISTMAS