Why not give a box of goodies to somebody else's servants?

________________________________
 From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2011 12:43 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Happy Boxing Day!

Be sure to give some gifts to your servants!

I don't have any servants because I'm not one of the 1%.  But I've been
getting acquainted with my new camera to find what all it does and
doesn't do.  One little unclear bit of information is that the camera
does shoot in Apple's iFrame mode which is probably NOT of much use.
iFrame was developed to make HD video editing easier but only supports a
resolution of 960x540 which is kinda halfway between SD and HD.  Netflix
actually streams some of their non-HD offerings in this resolution.
iFrame stores each picture as a full frame or what is known in MPEG
compression parlance as an i-frame.

Though I had my eyes set on a Canon T3i DSLR I couldn't justify the
expenditure at this time and since I was given a Best Buy gift care a
little over a week ago used it to buy a Canon PowerShot 310 HS.  This
camera supports iFrame but you have to use it from the manual settings.
The camera does not have a 960x540 setting but apparently stretches the
960x540 image to 1280x720.  Ugh, not so good as 720p should have more
detail than that.  So iFrame is of not much use.

But the 1080p setting shoots at 24 fps which is what I've been wanting
for years and the image is crisp.  One 1.5 minute video I shot Christmas
eve created a 440 MB QuickTime MOV file so there is little compression
going on using the AVCHD format anyways and the file loaded fine into my
editing software.  Video analysis software showed it was pretty much as
standard AVCHD file mostly of p-frames and some i-frames.  My bet is the
p-frames don't use a lot of compression.  This camera shoots better
video than my 2005 $1800 Sony camcorder which only did 1440x1080i and
the Canon was only $180.  The camera has both an USB port and an HDMI
port.  I'm using Class 10 sdcards with this camera which happened to be
on sale this last week for $15.  The higher speed card is recommended to
prevent dropouts.

And of course the camera takes great stills.  I haven't had a really
good still camera since I had an SLR back in the 1970s.