Dear Barry,

You have decided that the best course of action at this point is to argue that
I am insane, or at least, suffering from some mental disease. I don't believe
you are sincere in this; that the context of your own experience when you
describe me as emotionally disturbed and delusional does not have a natural or
truthful correspondence (one with the other). In other words, Barry, you are
lying. Of course it is always theoretically possible that I am all the things
you say I am: a person out of his mind and deeply troubled. However by the
subtext of your posts along this theme, you are, essentially, giving me a clear
bill of health.

You see, if I believe (or anyone believes) someone is psychopathological, then
this means that the sense they are ill, disordered, and unstable takes
precedence over any other consideration: for example, that we don't like what
they say about us, that we don't like what they say about certain people we
ourselves like. Once we believe in the diagnosis of mental illness as the
explanatory basis of their behaviour we are in this very determination freed of
any personal reaction to what they might say that is unflattering or critical
about ourselves or other persons. If I believe someone is suffering from
hypomania or paranoid schizophrenia then whenever that person (the would-be
patient) turns his attention on us and, for example, tries to analyze us, or
challenge us, or even appeal to us, we are unable to essentially focus on what
they are saying independent of our experience that this is an insane person.

So, then, we don't take it personally. And this sense of detachment born of a
spontaneous and indefeasible perception of their abnormal mental state  will be
present in whatever we say about them to another person. We reject the
objectivity, the appropriateness, the truthfulness of what they say, not out of
personal pique or animus, but because what they say (or write) is inextricably
bound up with their pathology; therefore it cannot touch us, because by
definition their words and feelings have their origin in something very far
away from truth.

So, in order for me to trust in the honesty and good faith of what you have
said about me, Barry, I must detect some, however oblique and implicit,
sympathy for me, since, if I am as alienated from my true self as your
diagnosis suggests, then what motivates all that you say about me arises from
this perception of how my words do not bear any correspondence, or little
correspondence, to reality, to what actually is the case.

Do you understand me, then, Barry? It means that this very letter to you
affects you primarily in only one sense: "Robin thinks he is saying something
important and significant here, but all that I can detect—quite innocently,
quite unmistakably—are symptoms of a serious mental disorder." Which entirely
spares you the discomfort or unpleasantness of wondering whether what I am
saying has any truth value in and of itself. I suppose a demented person can
perhaps speak truth; but the context within which he does this will always
upstage that truthfulness; or at least there will not be a context of normality
surrounding those accidental truthful remarks.

There cannot be any other possible interpretation than the one I have given in
this post, Barry: You are not bothered or angered or frustrated or
inconvenienced whatsoever by all that Robin has said in his enumerable and
wordy posts. Because what comes through to you is a psychological context which
gives his posts a quite different meaning than the one he, Robin, assigns to
them. That meaning is driven home to you, and it amounts to: This guy is truly
insane. I can't even separate what he says from what he is, and what he is
simply extinguishes any coherence or truthfulness in what he posts at FFL.

Well, Barry, is there any proof at all that your Amsterdam posts of December
28, 2012 fulfill this logical and common sense criterion? If they do, I must be
even more mentally deranged than I already am, because it is my distinct and
overpowering experience that you are not at all convinced in the truth of what
you are saying. Not in the least.

There is not even any sense of sincerity, of the real person Barry showing his
feelings, his real experience of himself, his own existential self. The posts
you have written today, Barry, serve only one very obvious agenda: to ventilate
your antipathy towards this Robin guy, to cast aspersions on him, to retaliate
against the critical mass of skepticism and doubt about your own integrity as a
human being (based on some of your posts:—and the animus behind these posts
preceded my coming onto FFL) that has gathered over the course of the last
several months.

I notice a flatness of affect, (thus a disengagement of the heart), an
intellectual sterility and dogmatism, and an entirely dissimulated conviction
in what you are saying. I don't believe you, Barry; and it is obvious you do
not believe yourself. For anyone who has closely read all my posts and then
compared them to what you are saying they represent in terms of a certain
imbalanced and dysfunctional psychological state, there is a radical and
incommensurable disjunction.

You have persuaded any impartial and unbiased (not knowing either of us, for
instance) person that it just cannot be the case that you told us the truth
here. You know you have not told the truth, just as you know you have no
response to this post. As I say, Barry, all that you have said about me may be
true, but you have succeeded in convincing me that I must be supremely sane and
stable, because in attempting to make the case that I am insane and unstable,
you have so perfectly failed that I must never again doubt the soundness of my
state of mind. I know you did not intend to create this result, but it is
nevertheless, apart from your motives, a kind of powerful endorsement of me.
And for this, as inadvertent and even antithetical it was in terms of your
original purpose, I thank you. Your impoverishment of spirit has made abundant
the serenity of my soul.

This is ironically, then, the best way of proving to myself that I am a very
healthy and coherent human being, even after my dislocation into Unity
Consciousness 35 years ago. So, it's Merry Christmas all the way, Barry.

You have had the courage to write to Emily; tell me what your reasons are for
not writing back to myself. After all, in the beginning I gave you plenty of
opportunity to save me from myself, but you refused. You only hurled abuse at
me. Was that exercising your Smile Mindfulness? Was that exercising your duty
to me as a troubled and deceived human being? I may be a nutcase, Barry, but
you have certainly done nothing to inspire me to seek help. Indeed, as I have
argued, you have virtually provided irrefutable proof that I am as solid and
secure and reasonable as any human being I know. And this, as you can imagine,
is very comforting to me, Barry.

No, there must be some entirely different reason and motive actuating your
posts of today, Barry. Would you like to hear what that might be?

Identify the symptomology first, Barry—and while you are at it: make certain
you are in contact with a a believable experience which can reinforce and make
credible what you are saying. Because, you see, if your real experience of
Robin is an variance with what you are saying about him, this will show.

That first person ontological thing.