on 8/17/05 9:48 PM, lurkernomore20002000 at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> snip
>>
> Speaking of which, I saw The Corporation last night. One of the most
>> powerful documentaries I've ever seen.
>
> snip
>>
>  THE CORPORATION empowers viewers and
>> shows them that they can realistically enact change. For that
> reason, this
>> documentary makes real progress, encouraging viewers to take the
> world's
>> future into their own hands and away from corporations whose sole
> interest
>> is profit."
>>
>> Rick, can you describe in "nutshell", what course of action they
> suggest.  Thom Hartmann talks alot about this.  He seems to
> recommend the grass works stuff - voting, pressure on legislators.
> But when you put this on one side, and the pharmaceutical lobby,
> the bank lobby, the energy lobby, and, and, . . . on the other -
> well, wow.

The documentary showed how the people in Bolivia rebelled when the Bechtel
Corporation tried to privatize their water supply such that the had to pay a
quarter of their income for water. The government (in Bechtel's pocket)
tried to suppress them. Some were injured and killed, but the people
prevailed and the government was toppled.

There was also a lot of footage of the CEO of the world's largest carpet
manufacturer. He was a really cool guy, deeply committed to transforming his
company so that it had no negative environmental impact. He's accomplished
about 25% of that goal and intends to reach 100%.

I guess they also recommended boycotts, and generally raising public
awareness of corporate misdeeds. I felt some sense of futility since the
corporations are so powerful, but look what's happened to Enron and several
big CEOs recently. Look at what Elliot Spitzer has been doing in New York.
There are plenty of examples throughout history of powerful entities
changing or being overthrown when enough people put their minds to it.

I think this documentary will wake a lot of people up. I have a copy, so
anyone here in Fairfield is welcome to borrow it from me.