Barry, thank you for that, I learned a lot.

Just a few quick thoughts:

I don't think because things crashed in the end for both Robin and Rama that we
can justifiably call them charlatans. The end doesn't, for me, invalidate the
earlier experiences. It seems that for us, at the time, we milked it for all it
was worth.

The thing you need to know about my involvement in what I was involved in had
NOTHING to do with wanting to attain higher levels consciousness or even in my
belief that Robin was enlightened. I frankly didn't give a damn. First and
foremost I loved his rebellious nature. I loved that he was bucking the TM
movement and doing it with a sharpness of intellect, without any airy-fairy
embellishments. He just seemed to damn fascinating  to me. Frankly, my ego got
me to watch that first seminar tape, to attend the first seminar. I wanted to
see if I could be good enough, smart enough, interesting enough to be able to
stick around and be somebody in this new and strange group of people. I was
ego-driven.

Of course, I was promptly confronted at my very first seminar and "failed".

I have been reading some more things about Rama in the last couple of hours.
Some of the descriptions by seminar participants sound really, really similar
to my seminars. We watched movies, listened to music, had stimulating
discussions about these things, the theater, current events. There was
chanting, manifestations, meditations.  And of course, in our case with Robin,
we had confrontations.

You speak about Rama encouraging  his students/followers to integrate into
life, to pursue successful in careers:
Barry:
The one aspect of studying with Rama-Fred Lenz
> that I would say was very different than what has
> been described here as studying with Robin was that
> it was very *pragmatic*. The main emphasis was on
> doing well in the real world, being able to handle
> any situation, with some modicum of class, and with
> humor and lightness.

It was exactly the same with Robin. We all had day jobs, there were pilots,
physiotherapists, video production company owners, school teachers etc. It was
about life and living, not sitting on our asses contemplating our proverbial
navels. No one just hung around. Robin was, and still appears to be, one of the
most energetic humans I have ever known. He emphasized the appropriateness of
words and actions. He emphasized the acoustics of any situation and tried to
steer us in the direction of what was or was not "happening" in any given
moment. Kind of like someone else we know talking about the "science of being
and art of living."

You speak about the absolute silences of your meditations with Rama, the
attraction of that. We don't have the privilege of meeting him via FFL. But let
me tell you, if I had the chance I would relish it. Having learned just a
little about him it would be incredible to interact with the man, to maybe come
to understand him through his posts, his thoughts. It has been a huge gift for
me to have the opportunity 25 years later to see that Robin is still alive,
still writing and still available (or was until recently) for me to have
another look. I wonder if you would not also have welcomed the chance to
correspond with Rama now -knowing what you do, being who you are today. I
really, really hope I get another chance to interact with Robin, whoever he is
today.