lurkernomore wrote:

> I can think of no better way to force "due consideration" before
> going to war, than a draft.  Different dynamics present when the
> greater society has "skin" in the game, than when they don't.

Lurkman, this is an astute observation. I wonder how many
families would have to military kids to give their voices critical
mass in the political sphere?

In Stephen Pressfield's incredible historical novel _Gates of Fire_,
the Spartan leader Leonidas has a secret criterion by which he
chooses which fighters will go with him to interrupt the Persian
advance at Thermopylae. At risk of spoiling the revelation for
future readers, the criterion has everything to do with the men's families.

 - Patrick Gillam

     Passing stranger, go tell the Lacedaemonians
     that here we lie, obedient to their laws.

    - epitaph for the Greeks at Thermopylae