On 04/12/2012 09:57 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@...>  wrote:
>> On 04/12/2012 07:51 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
>>> So finally the airwaves contain images of spiritual
>>> life that are almost as spiritual as Fairfield Life. :-)
>>>
>>> I don't think we've had any poisonings or murders
>>> here, so thus far the Borgia Popes are ahead w.r.t.
>>> body count, although it may be a tossup w.r.t. revenge
>>> fantasies.
>>>
>>> Seriously, it's a pretty good series, especially if
>>> you enjoy seeing the seamy underside of spirituality.
>>> Even the TMO and the Srivastavas seem tame compared
>>> to the Borgia Popes.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6Qr4kxc3U
>> You seem to have a thing for medieval times which I don't,
>> so I figured I wouldn't miss "The Borgias" even though I
>> tried an episode or two the first season.
> I completely understand this, and do not fault you
> for feeling this way. I am attracted to the medieval
> period because I feel that it provides the clearest
> parallel to our own times.

I can see the parallel but they often throw in the romanticism of the
era which doesn't interest me.  I find the parallel to the late 19th
century more relevant or even the 1920's with "Boardwalk Empire."
Interesting that not much has been done about the late 1800s and the
corruption that existed in the US then, at least as a series.  Too
revealing or "close to home" I would guess.  We can look at films like
"There Will Be Blood" for that.  And though you don't believe in
astrology the US is going through similar patterns today that it went
through with the corruption of 120 years ago (Vimshottari cycle being
120 years and then repeats).

>> I might look at an episode of "Game of Thrones" though it
>> doesn't sound like my cuppa tea either.
> It's challenging. First, it's a fantasy series, which
> means that it's not everybody's cuppa tea. Second, it
> has an *enormous* cast, all with weird names, so most
> Americans almost by definition don't have the attention
> span to follow it.

For the same reason I dropped "Lost Girl" because it was more fantasy
than occult.  I like occult and that is why I still watch "Supernatural"
even though they drifted into Biblical fantasy for a while which I have
no use for.  They're back at ghosts and occult phenomena.

And then there is just I have too much TV to watch.  Geez, I recall in
the 1970s, 80s and 90s I hardly watched TV.  I found broadcast TV mostly
droll and in the late 80s started watching more movies on rentals which
has continued.  Then there is just the understanding that broadcast TV
is a contrived medium mainly where a showrunner pitches a show and if
bought by the network turns more into a meal ticket than a true form of
entertainment.  We are "strung along" with many episodes of something
that could have been condensed to a 4 or 6 hour mini series.  People
feel that their time is cheated with the latter and that is why
broadcast TV in the US is having a hard time these days.  The old
formulas don't work anymore.  This may also be the reason that some of
the cable nets and premium channels are turning to remakes of BBC series
because most were originally shorter and better written.  If you string
along BBC watchers you are playing with their subscriptions fees and
they might not take too kindly to that.

That said, I was actually reluctant when offered the deal by Comcast to
take it.  But I knew I would probably sign up for HBO, hopefully at
promo come summer for "True Blood" (if It returns then) so it took care
of that and I could see if the second tier is really worth anything.
And the other part of the deal I didn't mention was that I could cancel
in 30 days if I didn't want it at no charge.

And for those who wonder why I don't read a book instead, I spend the
day doing close eye work programming.  Looking at a 53" screen 8' from
me is actually relaxing on the eyes (and at least one optometrist agrees).