On 04/22/2012 08:53 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> This film may find a resonance with many here, for several reasons.
> First, we FFLers are not the youngest critters on the planet, and this
> film is full of old people -- Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Tom
> Wilkinson, etc. -- with nary a nubile, brainless, perfect-bodied
> twenty-something-year-old in sight. Second, it's set in India, and in an
> India that has not lost its sense of humor.
>
> The plot is simple. Several recent retirees in England discover that
> their savings really aren't going to go very far there, and certainly
> not while providing them with the decent quality of life they had looked
> forward to. So they all -- separately, because they don't know each
> other -- fall for a brochure Photoshopped by a young Indian guy to make
> it look as if his ramshackle family hotel is nicer and better maintained
> than it really is, and thus advertise it to old people in an attempt to
> "outsource retirement."
>
> And the result is charming. Anyone who has had to put up with TM course
> accommodations being not quite up to snuff will identify with these
> people's misadventures. The actors are all wonderful, and clearly
> enjoying having a vehicle designed for someone their age, and one that
> allows them not only to act, but to act young at heart. Because inside
> every old person there is a young person, if only they allow it to come
> out. Sometimes being in a challenging situation encourages this coming
> out.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDY89LYxK0w
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDY89LYxK0w>

Bollywood excels in the area of comedy and thrillers.  They've got some
great comedians.

My guru's guru was going to retire at a new development near Hardwar 10
years ago invited my guru and myself to live there too.  A house would
have been $5K.  Probably not so now.

But if I were to live in India I would prefer Kerala where the temps are
87 degrees year round and the state is very modern with thriving modern
businesses.  And it is a communist run state so let Willy go figure that
one.

I've got videos of "playing chicken" on the highway during my 1996
visit.  I'm going to take some of that footage and post it to YouTube.
Unfortunately I didn't like the footage I took yesterday for my video so
shot some more this morning and hope to have an "Earth Day" video up
today though a birthday bash this evening may derail that.