 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 11:52 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Hello FFL -

> So do other traditions have a different kind of sadhana?
> Inquiry?  Seva?

An excellent question, and thank you for asking it.
I'll let Bharitu post his own reply, but mine would
be that -- in my experience, which is different than
'according to what I've been told' -- there are many,
many different forms of spiritual sadhana.

NONE are in my opinion any "better" or "higher" than
another.

Spiritual organizations I've interfaced with other
than the TMO have all seemed to understand the notion
of predilection. Not all seekers are created equal.

Oh, all of them have an equal shot at enlightenment
or awakening or whatever you call it, but they may
take different paths to get there. And none of those
paths are inherently "better" or "higher" or even
"faster" than any other. What is important is match-
ing the recommended sadhana to the individual, and
to his or her predilections in life.

Some organizations I've interfaced with talk about
the importance of one's life *outside* of meditation
or overt spiritual practice. You know, that stuff
you do more hours of the day than you do meditation?
They emphasize the value of "right action" in your
interactions with others -- or in your approach to
career -- as much as they do the value of meditation.

Many organizations emphasize the value of selfless
giving. There is really nothing like doing something
nice for someone other than your self to get you
the fuck out of being stuck in that self.

I would suggest that the number of different sadhanas
practiced or recommended by spiritual organizations
is pretty much equal to the number of organizations
themselves. And that's the way it should be. Predi-
lection. As an individual, as a group of individuals.