On 07/19/2012 05:43 PM, Xenophaneros Anartaxius wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:
>> http://constantin.glez.de/mandelbrot
>>
>> This is written in the "lingua franca" of the Internet, Javascript. It
>> apparently divides the processing time between several computers around the
>> world, so that it goes much faster than the same program would run if you
>> ran it on your own computer.
>>
>> Very cool.
>>
>> L.
>>
> I thought the lingua franca of the web was HTML. This page you mentioned
> displays as follows if javascript is disabled, as it sometimes must be when
> disabled people use the web. Currently only 1% to 2% of users seems to have
> javascript disabled; the percentage used to be much higher. If you want
> everyone who accesses the Internet to be able read what is on a page, there
> must be alternatives to whatever content is rendered with javascript. For
> example, Flash does not work without javascript - no video. Some people have
> to listen to the Internet, for example if they are blind; alternately they
> can use an active Braille terminal, but much of the material rendered by
> javascript is not accessible to these users. However text rendered within
> HTML without scripting is always accessible.
>
> ------------------
> Here's an experimental Mandelbrot Set web service. The picture you see below
> is created by a node.js script running in the most excellent Joyent Cloud.
>
> Check out the Mandelbrot web service in Node blog post here.
>
> Sorry, this page needs JavaScript enabled in order to work correctly, but
> JavaScript is not available or disabled on your browser.
>
> Click on any point in the image to set a new center, or play with the buttons
> below.
>
> Over time, this page will get some cool new features, so check back often.
> -----------------
> Enjoy!

Yup, JavaScript has become a defacto standard and indeed a lot of pages
won't load without it.  I recently downloaded a free trial of a web
authoring software and put together a simple test web site to see what
it did.  It general A LOT of JavaScript.  And that I didn't like.

I try to author sites without JavaScript to the extent of using drop
down menus that only use CSS.  I also like to use PHP, which is server
side because it is easier to upgrade sections of pages that way.  Just
edit the file not the whole page.  And of course there are all kinds of
cool tricks one can do with PHP.

I was amused a while back at looking at Android job reqs.  Many
mentioned things like REST.  Though I wasn't familiar with the term I
found out looking it up it wasn't anything that complicated other than a
method to look up a specific page.  IOW, if the page is updated (it
could even have it's own index file) it doesn't matter because the link
remains the same which is usually a number.  Good example are the
IMDB.com pages we often upload here.  There are a lot of these "very
important" looking things in job reqs that can probably be learned in a
day or two by any seasoned programmer.

Problem is that many "programming or engineering directors" who are
usually too young to understand THINK they are very important. They'll
be more likely to hire someone who has already worked with this even
though they have a tiny fraction of the experience that a seasoned
programmer has.