Dear Feste,

I realize this issue has been discussed in greater detail since you wrote this;
however I would just like to give you my impressions as they formed inside of
me when first reading your post.

We have to think of James Holmes, himself: If there is a conscience there, if
he is capable of remorse, if he is not insane, then what is significant is the
experience he has of himself and the act he performed *now*. What did he
anticipate would be his sensation and experience once he killed all those human
beings? How did he *actually* feel during the act and immediately afterwards?
These are important questions. Questions, then, to ask him.

How does he view himself now that he has become a mass murderer? Is he only
thinking of *how can I get out of this with my life*? To what extent does he
now think that, above all: "I must create some ambiguity about myself, how sane
I am, what I am all about"? because, Feste, if there is anything vulnerable or
real inside of him as a human being, the most important consideration has to
be: Can this human being realize the enormity of what he has done? can he
experience some revulsion and horror inside himself which even in some minimal
way is proportionate to what he has done? What kind of approach to him would
permit him the maximum objective experience of himself in the realization of
the unspeakable suffering he has inflicted on so many other human beings who
did nothing to deserve their terrible fate at his hands?

Although I recognize that Share can in some sense make her 'unconditional love'
the primary focus of her attention, that is not something I can do. Not at this
stage of the story at least. As you say, "Only God can love unconditionally".
For me, the substance of this ideal—"Forgive James Holmes but lock him up"—must
have something more than mere intention behind it. It must be a biochemical
reality inside the person who aspires to these feelings for James Holmes; which
is to say, that this "unconditional love" must be an element in the equation
which can rise in some sense to the level of intrinsic significance of the
trauma and shock and agony of those who have been directly affected by this
event.

If Share's unconditional love, as measured and experienced in juxtaposition to
the other feelings engendered in this tragedy: anger, horror, shock, grief,
trauma, pain,*makes itself felt inside the universe*, even inside the
subconscious of some of  us, then perhaps that indeed is a very profound thing.
But we don't *ask* the victims (those who lived, and the loved ones of those
who died) to experience agony and sorrow—the event produces these feelings. So,
if God deems unconditional love a worthy, even a desirable feeling to be
expressed—by someone like Share at least,—then we should be able to sense its
potential potency and relevance to this situation.

I do believe, Feste—unlike you or me—that Share, were she to be alone with
James Holmes, just might cause him some form of compunction and contrition
simply by his realizing that someone is responding to him in a way which
entirely goes against everything he would expect, and that therefore this has
the effect of shocking him into some more innocent awareness of just what he
has done. But for this to happen *he would have to experience how real this
feeling is that is being directed at him by the heart of Share*.

Feste:Very nice piece of writing, Robin. I share your deep reservations about
Share's
apparent intention/instruction to love this man James Holmes unconditionally, as
well as her earlier comment that she forgives him. For a start, I don't see how
you can love unconditionally someone you have never met. It is something that is
too easy to say, and it sounds glib. I would have more respect for it if it came
from someone who has been directly affected by this man's rampage. Otherwise, it
is meaningless, just a piece of New Age fakery. Only God can love
unconditionally. If I think about this individual, this James Holmes, I feel
more as you do. I am puzzled. I cannot comprehend what is in this man's mind.
There is a great divide that I cannot cross over in trying to understand why
someone would do this. It is unfathomable. My attitude is: first must come
understanding, then perhaps, at a later time, forgiveness and love. Perhaps. Or
perhaps never, who knows? I would sooner be honest about it than hide behind
idealistic platitudes that have no real meaning.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@...> wrote:

> Dear Share,
>
> While you are negotiating a modus vivendi with other posters here at FFL I
feel that the intimacy of what we are enjoying in our extended conversation will
somehow be compromised if I should return to that post right away. So I am
leaving it until you ask me to answer you as "Robin6". :-)

> I think what everyone senses on FFL, Share, is that you are unwilling to
contradict your philosophy by finding yourself dealing out the hard stuff with
those who would attempt, perhaps unknowingly, to provoke you (with their
condescension, their assumption of your naivete, their belief that they can make
themselves sympathetic to you�and I should say, right away: you are forcing
them to be nicer�nicer than they are wont to be). It is quite the show
watching you manoeuvre your way through all the difficult passes�but somewhat
miraculously you always emerge with your positivity and your love intact. That
takes something pretty real inside you to do that. It's hard even faking it
(The: I will always be positive and uplifting); but to actually do it *with your
very being*, well that might be a first around here.

> I had assumed that at various points even in our own discussion you would go
unconscious to the challenge of what I said; but without stepping outside of
your philosophy you have maintained the same tone of lovingness, playfulness,
and generosity throughout. I think that some posters (me included) figured you
would sell out at some point; which means that you would, while *thinking* you
were being faithful to your philosophy, in fact traduce it and become a victim
of your more primitive and ungovernable feelings. No, not with Share Long. She
keeps it going. :-)

> So, while I might have wished for a more hard-hitting and intellectually
robust exchange with you, what I have been given instead, seems to me, after
thinking about it for awhile, something perhaps even better: a human being while
being intelligent and sweetly ironic who nevertheless will only speak (write)
what seems to be consistent with attempting to give out the good vibration. Many
attempt this; many are convinced they are succeeding in this; but I just have
never found anyone who can keep it up through the exigent demands when the ante
of truth gets raised. You are making it, Share; so I think to myself: Hey,
Robin, baby: this is quite the phenomenon you are a witness to: a human being
navigating through these shark-invested waters of FFL, where much blood has
flowed, where there has been much gnashing of teeth, and much wounding of
smaller selves.

> As I say, Share: it is one thing to aspire to never be negative. But it is
quite another thing to stay in the game and hold your own and answer to all the
tensions (and Marek's sense of the violence), all the while making your
lovingness of intention the standard by which and the context within which you
choose to perform. I am a believer. I could never achieve a sense of
metaphysical coherence inside such an eclectic and ad hoc form of spirituality
as you obviously hold together in your subjective sense of yourself�and even
in your moment-to-moment reading off of reality; but no matter: you continue to
survive as you scale some pretty steep cliffs, even making me see that your
philosophy somehow saves you�for there is enough content to match the will to
be loving. Something I doubt I have ever witnessed. Everyone who decides: Ah,
this is the truth! I shall live and act by this truth and only this truth�life
always subverts this truth and then they have to retreat into a defensiveness
and fantasy and self-righteousness which enables them to survive subjectively,
but meanwhile they are being hopelessly defeated by reality. Not so with
yourself. You are making it so far, and the challenges you have decided to go up
against, well, I would have thought they would conquer your philosophy�*in
this sense*: you would have had to fudge on the philosophy, fudge on the love,
or lose contact with yourself and reality. Not so. I believe you.

> Will you continue to rise to the occasion? Well, it seems so if I am to judge
by the adversity you have already faced. I don't adhere to your philosophy,
Share�nor even the determination to always be loving [for instance your
advocacy of unconditionally loving James Holmes, the mass murderer: I can't do
this, because for me there is always the question: Who is this guy? How
disturbed is he? How sincere is he? How much evil might there actually be inside
there? And I interrogate myself, Share, with these questions�Whereas you,
without examining the particulars of this human being, implore us to love him],
I nevertheless recognize that some kind of grace is supporting you in how you
live out your philosophy�which can only mean one thing to me: It is
considered, this philosophy, to be *for you*�(by reality)�existentially
legitimate.

> Whereas in my case such a philosophy could never be real�*for me*. Which
just goes to prove the metaphysic of postmodernism: Reality is not so much
interested in the content of the truth you believe in; what reality wants to see
is whether you can make that truth *live* for you, so it is a creative force of
intelligence and meaning in the world. Share's philosophy *as understood and
exemplified in herself* works. And I honour you for this.

> Now if you want "Robin6" to get back in there, explain how it will make the
world better for me to do this. :-)