It is probably a DOS attack from some demented asswipe who doesn't like
FFL for some reason or another.   Perhaps I should do a tantric ritual
to make their fingers fall off. :-D

Those are easy to do with with an open group.  When I had a group I
don't recall Yahoo providing any analytics and I suspect they still
don't.  If you moved the group to Google you might have those plus
Google might punt any DOSers.

Years ago I had a DOS attack on my Earthlink site.  In that case I did
have a log to refer too and Earthlink who could have charged me for
overages didn't.  They instead probably billed the college where the
attack came from (it was over Christmas break) and the college probably
booted the student.

I've only seen the message once and that was last night checking my
email at 8 PM and since I got no messages from FFL checked the web site
and that banner was there.  Apparently the quota roles over at midnight
PDT.