--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, merudanda <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Dear awoelflebater what is your take on that or how i use to write your
> op -onion--?(Beware the peeling effect of onions)
> "..
> the protest was denied based on Annex XI of the FEI Veterinary
> Regulations, which state: "there is no appeal against the decision
> of  the Ground Jury to disqualify a horse for abnormal sensitivity from
> an  event."

First of all, there are definitely disciplines within the horse world that
regularly "sore" their horses around the coronet band. Tennessee walking horses
and gaited horses are particularly prone to this abuse from the use of various
topical applications of chemicals that cause the skin to erupt and ooze and it
can even go so far as to keep a horse from standing up. Hideous.

Show jumpers more frequently use the technique of either rapping or poling to
strike the horses front or hind legs as they are in the air over a jump in
order to make the horse think he hit the fence and therefore next time the
animal will presumably jump higher. These people use either bamboo poles,
regular jump poles or tack poles that have sharp implements imbedded in the
wood to actually hurt the horse.

Other methods can involve sharp objects placed inside of a jumping boot that
the horse wears so that if the animal hits the fence it hurts even more. A
legal method is to use weighted horse boots so that once you remove them the
horse just feels that much lighter and it likely to clear the obstacle easier
once the weight it removed.

I highly doubt the Canadian team would have purposefully injured their team
horse's coronet band at the Olympics in the year 2012. Ian Millar, one of the
veteran team members has seen 10 Olympics. These people would not risk such
behaviour. Eric Lamaze was the leading show jumping rider in the world aboard
the late Hickstead. All of this question of intentional injury is highly
unusual for these Canadians, they are not, like some other countries I can
name, prone to various charges related to both drugging as well as misuse of
equipment. They are simply too experienced and too smart to have created an
injury that is obviously visible to the naked eye and would be detected
eventually by some veterinarian or steward or other competitor.

Now I know the rules committee is not implying that Tiffany or anyone else
intentionally created a sore on this horse's leg but they are abiding by a
general rule that since a horse has a pre-existing area on its body, likely to
be struck again during warm up or competition, they have to consider this and
err on the side of caution for the horse's sake. I understand this stance
although I wish there was some type of boot or sock or bandage they could use
to protect that area. However, that place on the leg is hard to protect as it
moves and any protective covering would most likely be inefficient in staying
in place. Also, the mere fact that there would be something placed over the
small wound could also exacerbate the problem.

So, unfortunately, the horse will be withdrawn for a very unfortunate and
probably insignificant issue.

But abuse is so rampant in the horse world that I would have to err on the side
of the rules in general. So much goes ignored and the Olympics and the FEI in
particular hold very stringent parameters. If only all horse shows did.