Dear Lord Knows,

I don't think it is possible to answer to your accusations here and even try to
dispute your account of those years you knew me. I am not the person you depict
in your indictment of me. Those who know me best (including persons who were
there at the beginning, some 35 years ago, and remain in close contact with me
even now) know me as I am. They would not agree with your assessment of my
character or my motivation. And they would, in your presence, claim to have a
more profound understanding of me than is revealed by what you say about me in
your post at FFL. If your judgment is the correct one, there will have to be a
consensus about this. And if someone who has known me through these last
twenty-five years believes your judgment of me is essentially false, you will
have to consider that as contradicting what you so sincerely believe is the
truth about me. I certainly am not prepared to defend anything I did during
those ten years when I was enlightened--certainly not the incidents you cite in
your case against me. But that you have got the person Robin in your sights in
a way which is meaningfully related to who I am, there is where I believe you
are very much mistaken.

I cannot and will not attempt to justify my actions while I was enlightened,
but in terms of where I have come since then I do not recognize myself in your
portrayal of me here. And either would anyone who has known me through this
past quarter of a century. I can never hope to challenge your interpretation of
me based upon the evidence you present here during that time you knew me; but
in my conscience and in my soul my conviction of the wrongness of your
estimation of me now compels me to protest the unfairness, the inaccuracy, and
the unnaturalness of your analysis of me. The person Robin is not who you would
have me be. I am not that person.

In speaking about Eastern or Western traditions I am merely exercising my free
speech and what I have to say is based upon my own personal history, my
reading, and my sense of what is true. I am not seeking for anyone to follow
me, and I doubt that anyone on this forum feels in any way that I am not
playing by the rules.

Of course you are entitled to your extremely severe appraisal of my sanity and
my integrity; and if you are essentially right about me, it is indeed a
terrible thing for me to believe, as I do certainly believe, that you are
prejudiced and blind in the damning conclusion you have reached about the
person that I am. Now.

Only good, however, can come from someone who speaks as you have spoken, and
who has laid out the case against me in the way that you have. I suppose it was
inevitable that this would happen. And I am glad it has. In the end it will be
what the Creator makes of all this that counts, and I hope that he sees things
more from my perspective than from your perspective. I will pray for you, as
you evidently have already prayed for me.

Robin