Dear Feste,

It is so good of you to draw attention to the poem as you have here. Feste, for
me, the inspiration to post this poem came at a moment of extreme tension and
strife. And once I had decided to make Gerard's Mary the medium of my
intentions, a palpable change came over the entire reality of this controversy.
I felt that Lord Knows and myself were literally blessed by the Immaculate
Conception--and through her grace, we were, in our very being, reconciled.
Without explanation. I consider this a miracle, and that Hopkins' poem, in all
that it says, to have been the only means available in the universe in that
moment to staunch the wound that had opened up inside each of us.

And I have felt, ever since that moment, that I could say nothing more, else I
would be stepping on the reality that Mary through the very specific meaning
and power of this poem had created. I still sense that Mary through Hopkins is
determining the context of this entire affair, and it has kept me quiet until I
read your post. There is no other explanation for how the violence was taken
from us, and although neither Lord Knows or I comprehend how this happened, we
are both aware that the Virgin Mary through this poem acted upon us, acted upon
the entire context of this dispute.

Your appreciation for the poem, Feste, provides the occasion for me to say all
this. Lord Knows and Robin, we both received the love "Of her who not only/
Gave God's infinity/ Dwindled to infancy/ Welcome in womb and breast,/ Birth,
milk, and all the rest/ But mother[ed] [this] new grace".

"God...let dispense/ Her prayers his providence..."--Right here on FFL, right
in that very moment of extreme and unassuagable violence.

She changed us, Feste, through the perfection of the intelligence of Gerard
Manley Hopkins.

"World-mothering air, air wild,
Wound with thee, in thee isled,
Fold home, fast fold thy child."

Lord Knows and Robin were fast folded inside Mary Immaculate. She has healed us
both, and we will never know how this happened. [Our understanding remains
perhaps the same; but our experience cannot engender that same antipathy.]

I feel that Mary will always be between me and Lord Knows. And this makes me
very careful as my "ghostly good" would create more words on this forum. She
has touched the "deathdance in [our] blood".

And even in your experience here, Feste, I feel her influence upon me--and upon
you in making you say what you have said.

Robin