Hi TurqB, your day does sound wonderful.  As does what you call your goal shift
and resulting spiritual progress.  I'm happy for you.  Thanks for your insights
which evoked in me what I write below.

For your phrase Here and Now I'm using the word presence.  Anyway, in my
experience at any given moment a person is always some mix of presence and what
you call distraction.  For myself, in a nanosecond I can slide from 90%
presence and 10% distractedness to 10% presence and 90% distractedness.  It
helps to have an intention to be more present.  And definitely for me, the
state of my physiology can play a major role in how present or distracted I
am.  So important to stay rested, eat healthily, exercise, etc.  Common sense
stuff.  And sometimes good to ignore this too (-:

What also helps me be more present is just being more in my body.  Awareness on
sensations or on the breath or on focused perception.  I think this is the
direction spirituality is taking now, thank God.  Embodied spirituality.  The
spirit matter split being healed.

Tough love can definitely be a part of this healing.  But only if it's balanced
by compassionate love.  Both the stick and the carrot are needed to keep us all
on the path of becoming happier in ourselves and more loving towards others.
And it seems that some of us are better at the stick aspect and some at the
carrot.  Too much of either is not ideal.  But I'd say in general, better to
err on the side of compassionate love than tough love.