--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> Re: Raunchy's comment.  Number 12 on this list is enough to make my
> decision.  I would never sellout on my daughters' rights as women over their
> bodies.  It was a battle hard fought and hard won and thank god for the
> women who went before me on this issue, on voting rights, on equal pay for
> equal work (not there yet actually), and many other issues.
>
> http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/08/11/677171/12-things-you-should-know-about-vice-presidential-candidate-paul-ryan/?mobile=nc

Emily, thanks for posting this. Number 12 on the list is important to women,
and hopefully to a growing number of men. I get mad when anyone thinks women
who stand up for the right to choose is an occasion for a joke. Ann Arbor,
Michigan 1972, I was at a rally for the equal rights amendment. Unfortunately,
ERA went by the wayside after the Roe v. Wade decision. First off the bat, to
prime us for the weekend, we witnessed a debate on abortion with Phyllis
Schlafly. She was very convincing, but wrong. Later in the day I listened to
the beautiful music of the lovely Holly Near and gazed into blue, blue eyes of
Jane Fonda as she spoke passionately about women's rights. On the last day of
the weekend, several thousand women and a few supportive men gathered to attend
an event hosted by guest speakers, Gloria Stienum and Candice Bergen. Gorgeous
to behold. I sat about 10 feet away and loved every word they spoke. As we
waited to enter the auditorium, we ran the gauntlet of aborted baby posters and
hecklers. Then we got word there was a bomb threat being investigated in the
auditorium. We waited about an hour for an all clear. It sure dampened my
enthusiasm for going into the auditorium, but not ever my resolve to stand up
for a woman's right to choose. It's so disheartening to think that we are
fighting this old battle all over again.

This in the news recently, is enough to make your hair stand on end:
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/09/kansas-doctor-under-attack-for-not-forcing-ten-year-old-rape-victim-to-give-birth/