> Segueing from my rap about cliques and why -- in my opinion, of course
> -- people form them, I find my self proposing another answer to that
> koan: "They're stuck in hierarchical thinking."
>
> One of Rama - Fred Lenz's crackpot theories that I still think might
> have been a bit less crackpotosity than his other theories was derived
> from the study of computer databases. The first computer databases
> developed were hierarchical in nature. They reflected the largely
> hierarchical thinking of the times; everything was organized into
> enormous tree structures, "higher" above "lower," from the "top" of the
> tree to the "bottom" of it. Cool, I guess, until you had to link one
> piece of data to another piece of data way the fuck across the tree. The
> only way you could "get there from here" was to traverse the tree, from
> branch to branch, until you got from A to Z. There was no way to go
> *directly* from A to Z, in one or two jumps. As a result, these
> databases were remarkably inefficient, and slow as hell.
>
> Then someone came up with relational databases, in which the data
> elements were linked...uh...relationally. Each data element was linked
> not only to the element immediately "above" or "below" it, but to many
> others, by *concept*, not by any data element's position in an imaginary
> hierarchy. Thus both a cottage and a castle could be accessed directly
> by linking to the element that conceptually described both of them, a
> dwelling for humans to live in. Relational databases were *much* faster,
> and have largely replaced hierarchical databases in the world of
> computing.
>
> Pity that hasn't happened in the world of thinking.
>
> Humans still have a tendency to think hierarchically. They look at the
> world around them and build in their minds enormous tree structures to
> describe what they see and experience. And they build these imaginary
> structures hierarchically. God or Brahman or whatever you choose to call
> it is at the top. Under that are the Laws Of Nature or the Three Gunas
> or the Holy Trinity or whatever you choose to call *that* level of the
> tree. Under that -- at least in Hindu or wannabee-Hindu tree structures
> -- are devas and devatas, or gods and goddesses, or whatever you choose
> to call them. Then maybe saints and ascended holy men, then priests who
> haven't acended to sainthood yet, then ordinary spiritual teachers who
> haven't ascended to priesthood yet, then priests, then rank-and-file
> seekers, and then -- "below" all of them -- layers and layers of peons.
> They're at the bottom because they Don't Really Matter, being so low on
> the cosmic totem pole tree and all.
>
> So now what do you DO if you're one of the peons, say back in a past era
> of Indian history, and you discover that you have a desire to access the
> data element called God or Brahman?
>
> If you chose Hinduism or Vedism, there was simply no way to get directly
> [...]

Some of the same dynamics happened in Christianity when Protestants broke off
from Catholicism and said people did not need to pay for penances, use Popes or
have a whole hierarchy of rituals to reach God.

Still, I read of some recent studies that suggest that most humans are happier
beings when they have rules, even many rules. I am guessing that the reason
might be that people feel more secure with some rules,that they save time
because they don't have to think so much about daily decisions, that they
physically and emotionally just feel better with routines, that there is
security in knowing "what to do and when to do it and how to do it."

The hierarchy of age is interesting.  When I was a child I recall just adoring
adults who treated me with the genuine respect they had for adults.  Still, I
think adults have more experience and wisdom and can protect younger people
from not only danger, but also the pain of some stupid choices and behaviors.
I guess what I am saying is that there needs to be a balance in life between
hierarchies and using them usefully, and the unstructured lifestyle.  Kind of
like the art that results from 2 extremes can still be moving: the work of
painters in the eastern traditions who spend 20 years as apprentices and then
still paint mandalas according to all the mathematical rules of specific
proportions and colors vs. contemporary abstract art.  Different strokes,
different folks, both can be effective. Same with spiritual paths.  the
problems come up when the path does not mesh well with the individual's
temperament. And then some paths might be inherently faster or kinder than
others.