--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808"
<fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> > >
> > > From Fairfield e-news:
> > >
> > > A bizarre problem regarding 9-1-1 misdials out of the Vedic City
Pundit Project was a topic of discussion led by Jefferson County Chief
Deputy Gregg Morton at yesterdays' Board of Supervisor's meeting.  When
making a long distance call with their international cell phones some of
the pundits reportedly have to dial out by pressing 9 and then seemingly
two subsequent 1s which could put the cell phone into emergency mode and
dial automatically prior to the rest of the phone number being dialed.
Morton says there have been 41 of these calls in 2012, though the
problem was first addressed by letter to Vedic City's Mayor Wynne in
2010.  Morton also says the misdials are a waste of officer resources
and time, because officers have to respond to every 9-1-1 call whether
they know it's a misdial or not.  Several solutions were brought up,
including; attempting to change the dial out numbers for long distance
calls or urging Vedic City to create their own police department to
answer their 9-1-1 calls. Vedic City currently has their own private
security force.
> > > * * *
> > >
> > > Can you imagine the scene when the police officers confront the
pundits who are blissfully unaware that they have been summoning
emergency responders?

> > What would be even funnier if the calls to 911
> > were *for real*, and this is just their handlers'
> > cover story. After all, what cell phone requires
> > you to enter 9 to "dial out?" What is there to
> > "dial out" OF on a cell phone? That's something
> > that happens on land lines.
> >
> > It makes a much better Movie Of The Week if the
> > pundits are really dialing for help.  :-)
>
> It certainly does, maybe a FF resident can try
> "dialing out" and see if they can replicate the
> "mistake"

Although I still prefer the movie of the week
version, in which the pundits are actually
dialing for 911, hoping that someone will rescue
them from behind the barbed wire, the country
code for India really *is* 91.

So if the first digit of the number within India
is a 1, or if the pundit is so spaced out from
chanting and buttbouncing that they hit 1 twice
instead of once, this could theoretically happen.

For example, given this chart:
  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_India>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_India >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_India
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_India>
if the pundit were trying to call someone in New Delhi,
Jaipur, or Jammu, this situation could arise.

On the other hand, you've got to admit that it's
more amusing to envision 41 guys locked in a window-
less room somewhere, deprived not only of their
passports but their cell phones as well, being...
uh...encouraged to chant by special Vedic
correctional officers brought in from Mother
Divine:

Of course, having found this photo from "The Magic
Christian," it reminds me that I once gave a TM intro
lecture to Raquel Welch at 1015 Gayley in L.A. She
was "dressed down," and so I didn't even recognize
her during the talk itself. I don't think she ever started
TM, but for those who dote on "celebrity meditators,"
she at least expressed interest.