--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> The question arises: which ruts does TM practice create?

What I'm talking about is behaviour patterns, could be anything from
driving a car to having panic attacks. All of them are things that we
learn and become habituated to doing at certain times.

Don't know if TM itself would create a rut other than than the habit
of doing it. but then we don't really know how it works, maybe the
increase of what you call coherence is due to a rut being followed
and the after effect carrying on into daily routine. They always
become easier as the path becomes better worn.

Ruts aren't bad it's only our opinion of them that colours them so. When you
have a nervous problem (OCD for instance) your brain is
just following it's learned procedure same as when you sit behind
the wheel of a car to drive it. All this is unconscious and the brain thinks it
is helping you whatever it does, it's all stimulus/response.
There is no good or bad [to the unconscious] but thinking makes it so.

NLP techniques teach you to identify the trigger and lead yourself
away from the rutted path you dislike. TM, it claims, does something
similar in diluting the rut and removing the line on stone. That's
the idea anyway, which is why I say if you learn TM for a specific reason you
may be disappointed as that is likely to be something that
has pissed you off for many years. TM = not such a good therapy there.
But for general anxiety or PTSD it may be better as that is a constant state of
adrenal arousal that may benefit from the rut of the relaxation response as
there isn't a specific target to re-rut.

So maybe comparative meditation studies should include NLP in
working out which is most effective for various complaints?