> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anartaxius" <anartaxius@> wrote:
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
>>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
>>> <anartaxius@> wrote:

Judy, I found this message rather enjoyable and interesting.

> <snip>
>>>
>>> I assume that's meant to be humorous, since there's zero
>>> basis for such a suspicion.
>>
>> I think the probability is significantly greater than
>> zero. We disagree.
>
> You're welcome to hold whatever opinion you like, even
> if it's foolishly inaccurate, as this one is.

Nice to know you are up on reality, as always, without error.

> <snip>
>>>
>>> I interpret it to mean that it's good to make an effort to
>>> come as close as we can to understanding what the reality
>>> is of any particular situation.
>>
>> I would say reality would be equal in all situations
>
> It's not clear what "equal" could mean here. Reality is
> different in different situations. When it's raining in
> New York City, the reality is that it's raining in New
> York City. When it's sunny in New York City, the reality
> is that it's sunny in New York City.

There is reality in the local sense, and reality in the universal or spiritual
sense, which as an experience is the same under all conditions. It is not
experienced as different rain or shine. How to explain this scientifically
would I think be an interesting exercise. I thought one possible explanation
might be the one Fred Travis has come up with. This is the phase coherence in
the brain. I heard that John Hagelin thought that coherence would keep
increasing with length of practice of meditation. Travis said that he has found
that it doesn't but that the coherence that does develop becomes persistent. In
other words there is a persistent signal that continuously cycles through all
areas of the brain which does not seem to be specific to any one particular
kind of experience, is an experience of complete generality with no specifics.
That would seem paradoxically to make the resulting experience seem a local
affair in the brain, nothing to do with capital R reality at all. Conversely it
does seem that without a brain, no reality is experienced at all.

There are lots of people have this experience now; it is not as uncommon as it
used to be.

>> and it is not possible to fully understand it
>
> Think that might be why I said "come as close as we can"?
>
> <snip>
>>> Robin does not believe human beings are simply evolutionary
>>> accidents; he believes the fact of our individual first-
>>> personness is evidence that we have been intentionally
>>> created. If that's the case, what created us would have to
>>> be more powerful than we are, and obviously necessary for
>>> us to exist in the first place.

This is a big difference between Robin and me. I tend to think we are like
evolutionary accidents; that is an effective theory from science. But it does
not explain everything. I do not think of the world has having a creator and
having been created. I think of it as an integrated process of existence,
without beginning, without end (that is the existence part - this experience is
I think best expressed by Parmenides who remarked that it is not possible to
think of non-existence, for when we do so, we always are experiencing that
something, even something without any properties, exists).

>> I think that is correct. I think Robin is still adhering
>> to some kind of Christian outlook on life, just hiding the
>> fact by expressing it covertly, like TM adherents do for
>> Hindu practices.
>
> Robin does not adhere to or believe in any religion, and
> he's been very explicit about what he *does* believe, so
> it's pretty foolish to suggest he's "hiding" a Christian
> outlook on life or "expressing it covertly."
>
> You don't have to be a Hindu to believe in reincarnation;
> you don't have to be a Christian to believe we're created
> beings. You don't have to be an adherent of any religion
> to hold those beliefs.

It is just I have the sneaking suspicion, that is not the case. I am not alone
in this suspicion. Lordknows seems to not believe this is the case, that Robin
has changed from the way he was in any significant way.

>>> You keep saying this, but you've never made a good case
>>> for any "deviousness" on his part. As far as I can see,
>>> your argument is that because you don't understand what
>>> he's saying, he must be trying to confuse you.

Suspicion is that lurking feeling something is not quite right, one cannot
always put one's finger on it. In your conversations with Robin, have you ever
had a back and forth about the nature of Reality? I ask this because it is in
this situation that what I 'suspect' becomes evident. Normally you do not
discuss ideas, you edit or correct statements in relation to those ideas that
others make, but normally do not seem to enter the fray with a direct
discussion of what you think about the 'truth' of conceptions about reality, in
which case you would not butt heads with Robin.

>> But it could also be that he can't be understood because
>> it is incoherent though intellectually skilful.
>
> Seems quite coherent to me.

Robin is very coherent on one level, but something always seems amiss on
another level. I know this is vague. It is a very general feeling. If I could
put it into words, I would say Robin is a simulation of a teacher of reality,
but some critical component of 'reality teacherdom' is missing.

>> Robin does not have my trust.
>
> Obviously.

>>> (I've put the first part of the sentence back in for
>>> clarity.)
>>
>> This is pretty much the Christian view of things, for those
>> with a literal fundamentalist bent.
>
> No, Xeno, it really isn't.

I am not talking about American fundamentalism. Saying something is not, is not
helpful, but your comments following I found very useful.

>> It is also the view of Eastern karma rebirth beliefs. But in
>> order to know this you have to die first.
>
> I don't think you've quite understood him.

>>> Robin is talking about physical death.
>>
>> This is what I was hoping was not the case. The ultimate
>> carrot on the stick. What you want cannot be achieved now,
>> you have to kick the bucket first.
>
> No, that isn't what he's saying AT ALL.
>
>> Then, as long as we are discussing this, it will not be
>> possible to 'the only philosophy which survives--and I
>> believe will survive right through the experience of
>> dying--is that philosophy whereby *one is willing to do
>> anything in order to know and represent what the truth
>> is*--but not conceptually, dogmatically; rather through
>> experimental knowledge.' That would mean you have to die
>> to find out. Certainly you will not be telling anybody
>> what you found. So why does Robin just not kill himself
>> to find out? Because doctrinally it is a sin to off
>> yourself within the Christian matrix?
>
> You've read a whole lot into what he wrote that isn't
> there, Xeno. He's talking about a philosophy of life,
> what you practice experimentally while you're alive,
> getting as close to reality as you can and making the
> most of it. If you do it right, not only will you have
> greater fulfillment in life, you'll find that reality
> continuing through physical death. You won't suddenly
> find yourself jolted into an unfamiliar reality you
> weren't prepared for.

Now this interpretation of yours, I agree with, but interestingly this is not
how I read Robin. What you say here seems to me compatible with what any number
of current and past spiritual teachers have said. This is a very clear
statement Judy! I wonder how many others think this is what Robin is getting at
with his extended labyrinthian prose. He would do much better to speak this way.

I am always experimenting. But there seems to be a difference in my approach
and what Robin seems to advocate. My experience is the sense of individuality
gets dismembered with spiritual practice. This does not mean it ever completely
goes away, but it becomes more transparent, as if it were a convenient fiction,
a useful construction for dealing with other human bodies and objects, but the
experience is everything is an aspect of an inclusive whole, and everything
seamlessly fits together. It is an incredible delicious simplicity.

> Killing yourself would be the *last* thing you'd want
> to do, not because it's a "sin" or because you're
> afraid of dying but because that would abort your
> preparation for death.

How can suicide abort one's preparation for death - it is preparation for
death. (That was, I admit, a bit facetious.) Suicide is the attempt to escape
from an intolerable situation, as perceived by an individual mind. Because we
do not know what is on the other side of death (though lots of philosophies try
to get us to buy into the idea there is something), we cannot know directly if
this method is successful. If there is nothing on the other side of death, then
obviously suicide is extraordinarily efficient in achieving the goal of escape.

Because death is inevitable where there is life, it seems to me all the
philosophies about an other side beyond death are an attempt to assuage the
fear of death, are an attempt to avoid the inevitable by extending life. A
thief who holds you up at gunpoint can control you by exploiting the fear of
death. A religion does the same thing, controls you by exploiting the fear of
death, offering a way out. Except the thief, if he has not shot you dead, runs
off with your money and is gone. Religion exploits that fear all life long
unless you can get out of the fear by some other means. My thoughts on this are
initially religions were about finding experientially the nature of reality
while one is alive, and the fear of death is vanquished. Over time this process
gets muddled and people end up thinking it must happen only when one physically
dies because the process of becoming in tune with what reality is, is corrupted
and fails, and success of the endeavour to conquer death in living experience
is aborted. MMY talked about this in describing how pure knowledge gets
corrupted over time, and a religion gets born out of the mess, something we can
see happening in the TMO right now.

Robin seems to think that it is not possible to complete this process while one
is still living, if I interpret your interpretation of Robin here correctly. On
an individual level, death ends life. In unity, life and death are not
different, an essential value of nothingness permeates everything, and
therefore there is no transition from life to death other than the world ends.
That essential 'metaphysical' value of being remains unchanged. As there was no
real individual entity to die, nothing is lost. There is no need for some
'soul' to transition to a new location. The idea of soul I think might come
from the experience of cosmic consciousness, you know, the Atman. But cosmic
consciousness is a delusional state, say 95% delusional, so it is not a
reliable indicator of what might come in one's experience.

> The idea is to get the most you can out of life while
> you're alive, and the most out of death when you die.

Why not have the best of both worlds now? Robin said he was in unity, then not.
Now he is on a different track. My procedure to to integrate all my experience;
what I used to believe has to fit within my current understanding some way, in
the same way Newton's laws of physics fits into Einstein's general relativity.
In other words, nothing in my past is rejected as being unreal, it is simply
understood as an effective theory that has limitations and is no longer useful
to apply in the broader context of experience now. That Robin has not, it would
seem, completely come to terms with his past is one of the reasons I am
suspicious of his motives. The real nexus of the problem of death is
individuality. We obviously can do many things while we are alive. But we
experience other people dying, leaving us. The individuality we see seems to
have been extinguished. And that makes the idea of getting the most out of
death problematical, because the 'you' does not seem to continue. There are so
many stories of the 'you' continuing, but how do we know that these stories are
true? If we believe there is a life beyond death, but have not experienced it,
then all we are doing is having a thought that has no knowledgeable connexion
with reality. We just do not know. On the other hand, if the experience of
'selfdom' is that selfdom is a fiction, just a mental construct, the need for
all this philosophical baggage of life beyond death is unnecessary.

> The rest of this isn't germane because you've so
> misconstrued what he's saying, at least as I
> understand it. I'm sure he'll correct me if I've got
> it wrong. I know it's *incomplete*, but hopefully
> it's a start.

I think you did a nice job here. Since it seems clear to you I misunderstand
Robin, you will have to take the job of my interpreter. It does not pay well.