Considerable research done in the past decade indicates that
the tendency to "identify" with a "group" was essential for
survival for thousand of years as hunter-gatherers and then
in agricultural communities.

Research shows that even infants have this pre-disposition,
they develop liking for a "doll" that likes the same food
they like and dislike the "doll" which likes food they
dislike.

As you say it's literaly in the brain and genes.

However, please note that humans are the only speci on the
planet that can co-operate across tribes.

When two groups of chimps meet, it's war to death.  Same
when two heard of elephant meet or two colonies of ants
meet.  They just can't cooperate with each other.

In that sense, the fact that we do co-operate across tribes,
race, religions, is a quantum leap in evolution.