Politicians are not an isolated community.  They are a part
of the general society.  Whatever values the general society
has the politicians would also have.

I too always believed in MMY's quote that the government is
a reflection of the collective.

All preceding generations down the ages had their share of
"wacky" views and beliefs.  But there was no internet and
mass media then which is why they didn't get attention.
Today we have the internet and these "wacky" politicians
come under spotlight.