--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jedi_spock@...> wrote:

> Xeno, a lot of Religionists and Spiritualists have
> misconceptions about Darwin.
>
> If you study evolution carefully, you will realise there is
> a perfect balance between determinism and randomness.  It's
> not entirely deterministic and it's not entirely random
> either.
>
> There is a certain broad set of laws in evolution and within
> those laws some randomness plays a part.
>
> Religionists and Spiritualists confuse Darwin with
> metaphysics and mystisism.  They think Darwin tries to
> replace it completely.  Darwin as a theory only explains the
> mechanisms how life evolved and adapted.  It states nothing
> about God or Consciousness.

I think you have got it right here, the balance of order and disorder,
evolution does not specify where or how this arises, but describes how they
interact to produce the changes observed. Physics and chemistry are filling in
some of the gaps in this knowledge; physics provides a general description of
the nature of determinism (order) and randomness (disorder).

The metaphysical vs physical arguments seem to centre on whether our sense of
agency in the universe is embedded or integral to existence or is some kind of
'outside agency' acting upon what see as the world. Physics takes the former
view, religionists tend to take the latter, though Eastern religions (e.g., the
Tao) take an embedded view or some combination of the two points of view.

So far, I take Robin's 'X' as the outside agency view, but I have to remain
open since I find him difficult to understand half the time.