> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > So you think that because something seems unlikely it must
> > have some sort of outside help? Seems to me that just
> > pushes the start point back to some (presumably ineffable)
> > "other" thing. Doesn't help really. Especially as the universe
> > seems full of just the sort of organic compounds with the
> > requisite *potential* for complexity that life would need,
> > but chance still played a massive part, it took billions
> > of years before the accident that allowed for the evolution
> > of complex life, why would a creator leave that potential as
> > a maybe? Why not do it straight away - but I can say that about
> > the evolution of consciousness too. God was really playing dice
> > around here.
>
> Salyavin, do you think it might be a good idea to read
> the book, or at least the quotes from it that have been
> posted here, before making assumptions as to what it's
> about? You know, lest you find you've been vigorously
> pummeling a straw man?

That bastard deserves a good pummeling, but I actually started
my part of the conversation by responding to something Jason
said about Darwinism and religious/spiritual perspectives.

> Hint: Nagel is an atheist.

Good man, the only sensible choice. I'm not wholly familiar
with the chap, just the usual googling one does when an interesting
name appears here. Wrote something about bats if I remember, much
fun. Tried thinking like animals when I was on LSD once, I think
I achieved more siddhis doing that than I ever have since....