"If there is an attempt at accountability too soon, it's finger
pointing.  If there is an attempt at accountability too late, then
it's something you should get over."

Speech by Rep. Brad Miller (D-NC) today on the floor
of the House as the Katrina aid bill was passed:

"I know that today's session was a formality, that there would be no
votes other than a voice vote, but I thought it was important to be
here to show my support for the victims of Hurricane Katrina in
whatever way I could, however modest.

"Martin Luther King said, 'we cannot walk alone.' We are responsible
for one another. We help others in need on the faith that when we are
in need we will be helped.

"North Carolinians have twice faced desperate needs following
devastating hurricanes in just the last decade. Other Americans
responded generously both acting together through their government
and in their contributions to private relief efforts. Americans are
again responding generously to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

"But, Mr. Speaker, I share the anger of many Americans at how
shamefully inadequate our government's response has been. Tens of
thousands of Americans are living outside the walls of civilization.
They are without food, they are without water to drink, they are
without medicine or medical care, they are without effective shelter,
they are without the protection against violence that law provides.

"The failures that led to that are not the failures of the last four
days; but of the last four years.

"There have been repeated warnings that New Orleans and the Gulf
Coast were vulnerable to precisely what has occurred and yet our
government was stunningly unprepared.

"The President's press secretary was asked earlier this week about
our government's response to the hurricane and he said, 'now is not
the time for finger pointing.'

"Earlier today on this floor Mr. Lewis [CA-41] said, 'now is not the
time for finger pointing.'

"Mr. Wamp [TN-03] said, 'now is not the time for finger pointing.'

"Mr. Kirk [IL-10] said, 'now is not the time for recrimination.'

"Mr. Lungren [CA-03] said, 'now is not the time for recrimination or
for finger pointing.'

"They say now is the time to grieve for the victims of the hurricane.

"Mr. Speaker, I do grieve for the victims of the hurricane.

"They say now is the time to help the victims of the hurricane.

"Mr. Speaker, I want to help the victims of the hurricane in every
way that I can. I am here today and like millions of Americans, my
wife and I are contributing to private relief efforts.

"But Mr. Speaker, there has to come a time for accountability. If
there is not accountability for the stunning failures that we have
seen in our government's response to this hurricane, we will fail
again and again.

"I know that this administration thinks that accountability is an
ephemeral thing. If there is an attempt at accountability too soon,
it's finger pointing.  If there is an attempt at accountability too
late, then it's something you should get over. There is just a moment
for accountability.

"Mr. Speaker, tell me when that moment will be. Tell me precisely
when the moment will come for accountability for the failures of our
response, for the failures of our planning that have led to the
devastation and the hardships that we are see now.

"And Mr. Speaker, tell me where the line forms to ask hard questions.
I yield back the balance of my time."