 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, November 3, 2012 5:23 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] A book review after my own heart

As some may have been able to tell :-), I spent a large
part of my youth as a fan of science fiction and fantasy
writing. I read everything I could find at the library,
and other stuff found in second-hand bookstores that the
libraries didn't feel worthy of putting on their shelves.
And along the way I've had various "favorite" writers,
most of them men (partly because...duh...most writers
who get published are men, and especially most writers
consigned to the scifi/fantasy ghetto are men). My faves
have always been the "soft" scifi writers such as Roger
Zelazny (who specialized in the reinvention of myth),
Orson Scott Card (who specialized in the reinvention of
religion and spirituality), and Philip K. Dick (who
specialized in the reinvention of reality). But if I'm
honest, my all-time favorite scifi/fantasy writer has
always been (gasp) a woman -- Ursula K. Le Guin.

When I moved to the L.A. area during my college years,
I became a devotee of the A Change Of Hobbit bookstore,
and thus got to meet and hobnob with a few of my fave
writers, and/or hear them speak. Some, like Zelazny,
were the kinds of public speakers who should have kept
to writing, and others, like Card, could be as eloquent
in speech as they were on paper. Some were fiercely
intelligent, and others only posed as intelligent, more
Mensa types trolling for attention. Only one writer
blew me out of my socks with her combination of innate
intelligence, charm, mastery of language, and above all,
vision of and compassion for what it means to be human.
That was Ursula Kroeber Le Guin.

Under the first link at the bottom of this post is a
review of a new 2-volume collection of her short writing,
and the author of it seems to not only agree with me
that Ursula is the best living genre/ghetto writer
in the world, but one of the best writers, period.
It's in her genes. Her father was one of the most
famous anthropologists in the world, A.L. Kroeber,
and her mother was a famous writer and social scien-
tist in her own right. Ursula obviously grew up in
a household that had been trained to view humans
with the accuracy of a scientist, but also the
compassion of a saint, and that trait has charac-
terized all of her writing. She has won all the
major awards in her genre many times over, and her
seminal gender-busting novel "The Left Hand of
Darkness" is still in my all-time Top Five. If
you're looking for some good books to curl up with
this Winter, you might do well to look into some
of hers.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2012/11/ursula_le_guin_s_the_unreal_and_the_real_collected_stories_reviewed.single.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_K._Le_Guin