 From: Xenophaneros Anartaxius <anartax...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2012 6:02 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Not So Super Tuesday to Xeno

> Xeno!  You're alive and powered up!  And both intelligently and humorously
> biting!  But what the heck are you doing posting so briefly?!  For God's
> sake man, we want details!  What happened?  Are you back in Brewster?  Is
> everyone ok?  Are you camping out somewhere or back home?  Oy, men!

Well it is expected to be 20F tonight here, but the power finally came back on.
My egress to a safer clime was stymied by fatique preparing for the storm, and
I eventually thought it better not to drive all night when there were
continuous gusts of wind in the 40mph range. Eventually winds got up to about
80mph. I slept through that part. Neighbors told me they went out side briefly
then and heard all sorts of cracking sounds as trees broke. Hundreds of
telphone poles, which are basically tidied up trees, were damaged in the area
and have to be replaced.

There are hundreds of power line trucks roving the towns here, many from states
as far as Indiana, Michigan, and the National Guard also same in with heavy
equipment to remove fallen trees so the power companies could repair lines. My
brother in law is no doubt pleased that his home did not suffer harm from the
storm, and pehaps more pleased that he was a thousand miles away quite safe,
quite unlike many homes in the area, some of which were bashed by two or more
trees; there were some injuries.

Trees grow about 75 to 100 feet tall here and have shallow roots due to rocky
soil. But many just snapped off at the top, middle, or near the base, some of
these trees four feet across near the base. I saw cars flattened by fallen
trees. Many towns had more than 100 roads blocked by fallen trees so
immediately after the main hit of the storm, travel was impossible. It was
uncomfortably cold, but I had a gas stove that can be lit with matches (for
cooking food - you do not leave these things on when sleeping or for heat).

Fortunately, I live near Interstate 84 and across the state line very close in
the city of Danbury, Connecticut, there is a large mall and several smaller
ones that did not suffer a serious power outage, so food etc., was not
difficult to get there after the first two days

We need to think of our dear Judith Stein, who lived one block from the beach
somewhere in New Jersey. She must have evacuated as she did before Irene last
year, but it seems likely where she lived was destroyed. She was offline during
that time last year so I am supposing she did not have a laptop, or at least no
connectivity where she went then.

I overheard a conversation with someone who had talked to a friend who lived
some 6 to 8 houses back from the beach somewhere in New Jersey and his friend
reported that his home was trashed, and that diesel fuel spilled from boats
that were washed inland permeated the interiors of the houses as it came in
with the water and mud and sewage.

So at this point Judy may not have a place to live. Perhaps she finally met an
adversary she could not argue down. Her situation might be more similar to
those that experienced the tsunami that devastated Japan last year, where whole
cities were wiped off the map or severely ruined.