On 11/10/2012 10:48 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:
>> I recently spoke with a friend who is a tenured professor of
>> psychology about cult leaders and whether or the "control
>> personality" can be cured. He is not sure it can be.
> Narcissistic Personality Disorder is incredibly difficult
> to treat, and pretty much impossible to self-treat. The
> problem is that the person with NPD considers literally
> everyone he encounters an opportunity to reinforce his
> self-importance and "specialness," and will therefore
> LIE to them, often unconsciously, because the only thing
> that matters to him is that someone is continuing to
> focus on him. I have known therapists who have given up
> on *ever* attempting to try to treat people with NPD,
> because it just isn't worth the time, effort, and
> heartbreak. You think that the patient has made some
> progress, and then you find out that it's just another
> layer of the onion, and that everything he's been
> telling you for the last few months has been a lie,
> merely calculated to "keep you playing the game."
> This is my perception of what Robin Carlsen is doing
> on this forum.
>
> The thing I find most difficult to believe in all of
> this mess is that anyone here truly believes that
> Robin is in any way different today than he was back
> then. I don't see that. What I see is the exact same
> narcissistic acting out, and the exact same lack of
> empathy and lack of caring. The only thing important
> to him -- then or now -- seems to be trying to get
> other people to believe *his* version of the "Robin
> story."
>
> To believe that Robin has changed, one has to believe
> Robin. I have seen nothing on this forum that convinces
> me he has *ever* made a truthful statement. It's all
> been playing the narcissist's game, and truth is
> quite irrelevant to that game.
>
> The people I feel sorriest for are not those mistreated
> by Robin in the past but those who have fallen for his
> act in the present.

The other thing is we're not trying to DIAGNOSE here.  We're looking at
a PROFILE of an archetype or how someone likes to present themselves.
Hell they could be an actor putting us all on but I doubt it.   It would
be interesting to know what happens to a person as they grow up that
makes them try to control others.  It's like a gang leader or bullying
instinct.  I saw a lot of these back in the "fabulous 60s" and made
enemies of them because I wouldn't fall for their shit. ;-)