> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> poor

> > > News flash to Judy:
> > >
> > > They were school buses..ANYONE can drive them.
> >
> > Are you a school bus driver?
>
> I have been in the past, for special events.
> Shemp's right on this one in many states, where
> only a regular driver's license (not a commercial
> license) is required to drive a school bus.

However, this is irrelevant, but NOT because:

  That
> doesn't have anything to do with anything in this
> situation, because by the time the need to
> evacuate hundreds of thousands of people became
> evident, the roads were already impassable because
> of the storm.

The issue is why the buses weren't used *before*
the roads became impassable.  As soon as it
became clear that Katrina was likely to hit
New Orleans, the need to evacuate was evident.

There's yet another obvious requirement for driving
the buses that nobody has mentioned (although it
was in one of my earlier posts).

> Evacuation of the poor wasn't planned for, so it
> didn't happen.  That's not good.  Trying to help
> them once they were trapped *obviously* wasn't
> planned for.  That's not good.  Lots of "not good"
> to spread around here.

What *was* planned for in the case of Katrina was to
bus those who didn't evacuate to "shelters of last
resort," i.e., the Superdome and a couple of others.
There were buses assigned to this task, and many took
advantage of them; thousands of lives were saved
thereby.

What was not planned for was for people to have to
stay in the shelters as long as they did, because
it was expected that a FEMA-led effort to get them
out of the shelters and away from the hurricane-
ravaged area would be mounted immediately.

The city also had in the works a complex, long-term
plan to have local churches identify people in need
of transportation and assign them to car pools, but
it had only begun to be implemented by the time
Katrina arrived.  The plan would have taken another
year or so to be fully developed and operational.

Another plan that was in process was to retrofit the
Superdome with backup generators and water supply and
other independent infrastructure so that it *could* be
used to shelter people for longer than a day or two,
but that wasn't completed in time either.

So the need to evacuate the poor was very well
recognized as essential and was being worked on, but
Katrina arrived too soon.

The inherent difficulties of evacuating a city
with such a huge car-less, money-less population
as New Orleans are immense.  The city was doing
the best it could with the resources it had
available.

Busing all those who wanted to leave away from
the city was simply not possible with the short
notice they had with Katrina, first because of
the lack of drivers, and second because of the
traffic problem.

Another complication was that the number of
people who wanted to leave but couldn't afford
to rent a car or take commercial transportation
was higher than it might have been because so
many of the poor population were on government
assistance, and Katrina arrived near the end
of the month when they were almost out of funds.

> Petty assholes on FFL slinging shit and trying to
> make it land only on the people they don't like
> is also not good.  Get a life.

Actually, sniping at folks who are discussing a
complex problem when you're so ill informed
yourself, for lack of anything else to
contribute, is distinctly in the not-good, get-
a-life category.