Title: Open letter to Ed Malloy (Mayor of Fairfield) Bob Wynne (Mayor of Vedic City) and Craig Pearson (Executive VP of MUM)
This needs work, and I need to work, but as with the other letter, I thought I’d post it here to stimulate some discussion. After improving it a bit, I’ll probably send it to the local paper.

Open letter to Ed Malloy, Bob Wynne (Mayor of Vedic City) and Craig Pearson (Executive VP of MUM)

Texas has absorbed a quarter of a million refugees and is maxed out. In addition to the thousands of people living in major sports arenas, groups of 200-300 in hundreds of churches and community centers. All kinds of financial aid including unemployment insurance and more is being set up now. An effort is underway to move people from these larger centers to communities where it will be easier for them to look for jobs and housing once they start getting their government relief money. How about extending a welcome from Fairfield, Vedic City and MUM to Katrina refugees? There are 30-40 houses on the market here and numerous apartments. There is room for at least 500 people in the pundit housing in Vedic City.

I don’t know what kind of housing there might be on campus, since so many buildings have been demolished, but you can bet that if 100 paying students wanted to come, space would be found. Universities around the country are offering to take in students displaced by the storm, tuition-free. Even a university in Austria has offered to take in 500 students.

Moveon.org, at http://www.hurricanehousing.org/ is coordinating a grass roots effort to connect people who have extra room with those who need a place to stay.