--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 9/5/05 9:00:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> > I've  seen only one such story.  The guy was arrested
> > and charged with  theft.
> >
> > I've heard of a couple others as well. But doesn't change the
> > fact that almost anybody can drive a school  bus.
>
> INCLUDING little old ladies...who, by the way, seem to be the
> drivers of the school buses I usually see on the streets.
>
> In the days leading up to the hurricane when everyone was told to
> evaculate, there is simply NO REASON why there wasn't a plan in
> place to "deputize" citizens on every block to be the designated
> school bus drivers for all those buses in the photo sitting there
> doing nothing.

And how would you enforce this "deputization" if
those so designated decided they weren't going to
take the risk, or they couldn't be found, when push
came to shove?  You've just added another layer of
difficulty to the whole thing.

> And how in hell the responsibility for such a plan could be on the
> Feds and NOT on the local administration I do not know.

It's written into the administration's own plan for
dealing with disasters, as I outlined in a recent
post.

I doubt the feds could have done a whole lot more than
the city did given the short time frame, but the buck
stops with the feds.  If they don't like what the city
did but weren't able to come up with anything better,
they have no business trying to put the blame on the
city.