I'll have more to say this evening about Barry's
hysterical meltdown, but in the meantime, here's a
post I made back in 2007 after Barry had brought
this up again. The Maya expert in the Salon
article I quoted was, um, not exactly the only
knowledgeable person to have been upset by the
movie:

A few selections from articles discussing
the historical inaccuracies in "Apocalypto"

>From the San Diego Union-Tribune, 12/6/06:

'Apocalypto' a pack of inaccuracies

Maya experts say Gibson's violent film wrong historically

By Mark McGuire
NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE

December 12, 2006

Mel Gibson's historical drama "Apocalypto" certainly has a veneer of
authenticity. If you have to scramble to remember your fifth-grade
lessons on Maya culture, you'd certainly believe you're watching an
accurate, detail-rich depiction of Mesoamerican life.

"A lot of people will think this is how it was," said Walter Little,
an anthropologist and expert on Maya language and culture at the
State University of New York at Albany. "Unfortunately."

Little and two other Mesoamerican scholars at the Albany campus
recently screened the big-budget, subtitled epic, which opened Friday
and was last weekend's No. 1 movie, grossing $14.2 million.

All three said they were disappointed by the plot and taken aback by
the graphic violence, which to these eyes suggested "Braveheart" as
directed by Quentin Tarantino in a particularly vile mood.

But even if they could sponge away the blood, these experts found the
devil – or at least a set of thumbs-down reviews – in the details.

"This was not a film about the Mayas," said Robert Carmack, a retired
anthropology professor from SUNY Albany's lauded Mesoamerican
program. "It's a big mistake – almost a tragedy – that they present
this as a Maya film."

In any genre film, experts and geeks alike will pore over the
minutiae. In their estimation, a movie rises or falls on the little
things.

Seafaring experts debate the minor gaffes of "Titanic," while experts
on ancient Rome talk about minor historical imperfections
in "Gladiator."

Most moviegoers won't catch these mistakes or willful fact-
doctorings. Does it matter to the average ticket holder that Gibson
apparently fudged some facts? Not really, especially if you're just
looking for a period adventure featuring, by my unofficial count, 12
wildly different modes of killing.

There are no guns, but lots of lethal weapons. To those in the know,
however, the flaws stick out like Roseanne Barr in a Broadway musical.

Take the film's depiction of a major Maya city that serves as the
setting for much of the film's third act. Many of the architectural
details are correct, but they're cobbled together from different
locations (including ancient cities in Guatemala and the Yucatan) and
different eras, the experts said.

So what, you say? Try picturing 16th-century explorer Giovanni da
Verrazano navigating the east coast of the New World, and then ending
his journey by traversing the New York City suspension bridge that
bears his name.

You get the idea.

The experts said they thought, during much of the movie, it was set
sometime between A.D. 300 and 900 – until a closing scene places it
closer to the early 1500s.

"It was a postmodern collage," Little said. "It was a hodgepodge."

Carmack grew more and more steamed in his post-screening analysis. In
particular, he seethed over the portrayals of human sacrifices and
other spectacles, which he said more closely resembled practices used
by the Aztecs or even the ancient Romans.

The sadism that permeates the movie was simply not part of the
culture, the experts said. Yes, the Mayas practiced human sacrifice,
but in ways that were highly ritualized and usually involved a single
victim. Not pretty, to be sure, but a far cry from the slaughterhouse
of mass sacrifice depicted in "Apocalypto" – a virtual conga line of
the soon-to-be headless, followed by desecration of their bodies.

The body count was high, and the treatment of the dead cavalier, all
three anthropologists said.

The Mayas, an agricultural society, also would not have had an open
field of rotting corpses situated near their crops.

Modern-day descendants of the Mayas "would be totally disgusted by
this film," Carmack said. "It was all invented. The ritual was a
disgusting perversion of human sacrifices among the Mayas."

Edgar Martin del Campo, a newly arrived faculty member who begins
teaching at SUNY Albany in January, talked about religious glitches
and other flaws. Examples: Mayas would not have been awed by an
eclipse as they were in the film – they were, in fact, early
astronomers. Villagers would not have been dumbstruck by a city; most
lived in or around metropolises. The costumes were contrived.

Give the film this, the scholars said: Gibson was brave enough to
make the movie in the Yucatec language. But just as the use of
Yucatec isn't exactly a guarantee of boffo box office, the historical
inaccuracies of Gibson's latest will zoom right by the average
viewer. The gore will not.

Gibson's last subtitled period piece, 2004's "The Passion of the
Christ," was an international hit. Even so, that graphic drama drew
criticism similar to that already levied against "Apocalypto,"
angering many scholars and Jewish leaders for its depiction of
Christ's final hours.

"The Passion" was a cultural phenomenon that sparked mainstream
debate over the Gospels and the history of anti-Semitism, among other
topics. It's doubtful the history behind "Apocalypto" will prompt
widespread research by moviegoers – most of whom will be in search of
nothing more than two hours of action. Regardless, the experts will
be howling. It will be up to you whether to listen.

"The problem is when you misrepresent (a subject to) somebody, they
don't always seek out the correct version of things," Little
said. "They're going to accept that as reality. So why would they go
search out what it really is?"

http://tinyurl.com/2u3vas

Excerpt from an article in National Geographic News,
an interview with Zachary Hruby, a Maya expert at the]
University of California, Riverside (the full article
details many more historical inaccuracies):

Hruby: By the time the Spaniards arrived, the social problems
associated with the Classic period collapse, as portrayed in
Apocalypto, did not exist.

NG: In terms of historical accuracy, the arrival of the Spaniards is
a problem in itself, right?

Hruby: The movie ends with the Spaniards coming [which didn't happen
in Mexico until long after the Classic Maya collapse]. So basically
we're looking at a 400-year difference in architectural style and
history.

The movie is mixing two vastly different time periods. This Classic
form of kingship ended around 900 A.D.

http://tinyurl.com/ylo7ql

>From an article at Archeology Online, a publication
of the Archaeological Institute of America, by Tracy
Ardren, an assistant professor of anthropology at the
University of Miami:

But I find the visual appeal of the film one of the most disturbing
aspects of "Apocalypto." The jungles of Veracruz and Costa Rica have
never looked better, the masked priests on the temple jump right off
a Classic Maya vase, and the people are gorgeous. The fact that this
film was made in Mexico and filmed in the Yucatec Maya language
coupled with its visual appeal makes it all the more dangerous. It
looks authentic; viewers will be captivated by the crazy, exotic mess
of the city and the howler monkeys in the jungle. And who really
cares that the Maya were not living in cities when the Spanish
arrived? Yes, Gibson includes the arrival of clearly Christian
missionaries (these guys are too clean to be conquistadors) in the
last five minutes of the story (in the real world the Spanish arrived
300 years after the last Maya city was abandoned). It is one of the
few calm moments in an otherwise aggressively paced film. The
message? The end is near and the savior has come. Gibson's efforts at
authenticity of location and language might, for some viewers, mask
his blatantly colonial message that the Maya needed saving because
they were rotten at the core. Using the decline of Classic urbanism
as his backdrop, Gibson communicates that there was absolutely
nothing redeemable about Maya culture, especially elite culture which
is depicted as a disgusting feast of blood and excess.

Before anyone thinks I have forgotten my Metamucil this morning, I am
not a compulsively politically correct type who sees the Maya as the
epitome of goodness and light. I know the Maya practiced brutal
violence upon one another, and I have studied child sacrifice during
the Classic period. But in "Apocalypto," no mention is made of the
achievements in science and art, the profound spirituality and
connection to agricultural cycles, or the engineering feats of Maya
cities. Instead, Gibson replays, in glorious big-budget technicolor,
an offensive and racist notion that Maya people were brutal to one
another long before the arrival of Europeans and thus they deserve,
in fact they needed, rescue. This same idea was used for 500 years to
justify the subjugation of Maya people and it has been thoroughly
deconstructed and rejected by Maya intellectuals and community
leaders throughout the Maya area today. In fact, Maya intellectuals
have demonstrated convincingly that such ideas were manipulated by
the Guatemalan army to justify the genocidal civil war of the 1970-
1990s. To see this same trope about who indigenous people were (and
are today?) used as the basis for entertainment (and I use the term
loosely) is truly embarrassing. How can we continue to produce such
one-sided and clearly exploitative messages about the indigenous
people of the New World?

I loved Gibson's film "Braveheart," I really did. But there is
something very different about portraying a group of people, who are
now recovering from 500 years of colonization, as violent and brutal.
These are people who are living with the very real effects of
persistent racism that at its heart sees them as less than human. To
think that a movie about the 1,000 ways a Maya can kill a Maya--when
only 10 years ago Maya people were systematically being exterminated
in Guatemala just for being Maya--is in any way okay, entertaining,
or helpful is the epitome of a Western fantasy of supremacy that I
find sad and ultimately pornographic. It is surely no surprise
that "Apolcalypto" has very little to do with Maya culture and
instead is Gibson's comment on the excesses he perceives in modern
Western society. I just wish he had been honest enough to say this.
Instead he has created a beautiful and disturbing portrait that
satisfies his need for comment but does violence to one of the most
impressive of Native American cultures.

http://tinyurl.com/ya5kd7

A comment on a review:

Ignacio Ochoa's [director of the Nahual Foundation that promotes
Mayan culture] comment that "Gibson replays... an offensive and
racist notion that Maya people were brutal to one another long before
the arrival of Europeans and thus they deserved, in fact, needed,
rescue" articulates what I was feeling, especially towards the end of
this film. When the Berkeley crowd started booing at the end of the
film as the Spanish-Christian missionaries arrive, I'm sure it was in
response to this sense.

>From India Times via Yahoo News:

Washington, Jan. 11 (ANI): A Guatemalan official has reportedly
blasted Hollywood filmmaker Mel Gibson for the insulting depiction of
the Mayan civilisation in his new film 'Apocalypto'.

Guatemala's presidential commissioner on racism, Ricardo Cajas, feels
that Gibson's movie has caused a drastic setback to the image of the
Mayan people in Apocalypto.

He says that that the movie seems to be an attempt at imposing the
Western viewpoint about other civilisations of the world.

"It's a case of Western civilisation imposing its view about other
civilisations," Contactmusic quoted him as saying.

"It shows the Mayans as a barbarous, murderous people that can only
be saved by the arrival of the Spanish," he added....

http://tinyurl.com/2uqhys