In a message dated 9/5/05 5:07:12 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> INCLUDING little old ladies...who, by the way, seem to be the
> drivers of the school buses I usually see on the streets.
>
> In the days leading up to the hurricane when everyone was told to
> evaculate, there is simply NO REASON why there wasn't a plan in
> place to "deputize" citizens on every block to be the designated
> school bus drivers for all those buses in the photo sitting there
> doing nothing.
>
> And how in hell the responsibility for such a plan could be on the
> Feds and NOT on the local administration I do not know.

Was such a plan feasable given the number of people?

The city of New Orleans had already (December of last year) issued a
warning that the City could NOT evacuate everyone who needed
assistance due to lack of resources.

Yes such a plan was feasible. The city had over 500 hundred buses, school and city public transportation.  They used some to go around and pick up people and take them to the super dome, but not out of the city.< Tonight on "Special report With Britt Hume" Britt reported that on Saturday before the storm the head of the National Weather Bureau called the Mayor and told him he needed to evacuate the city because they were about to take a direct hit from a class 5 hurricane and the Mayor told him he would not evacuate the city. That evening President Bush called the Mayor and had to plead with him to get him to evacuate New Orleans. Now can you imagine what would have happened had he still refused  to call an evacuation and nobody left New Orleans?