> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seekliberation" <seekliberation@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone out there ever wonder if perhaps we're being
> > just a little bit narcissistic when we assume that these
> > times are so much more important than any other time?
>
> Not just a little. :-)
>
> Back during the millennial new year of 1999-2000, several
> news outlets did articles on "apocalyptic predictions."
> They demonstrated very conclusively that *there has never
> been a time in human history* when such predictions were
> not being made, and in which the end of the world was
> imminent, about to happen Any Day Now.
>
> They concluded that self-importance and narcissism were
> hard-wired into the human system, and that no matter what
> the era, no matter what the culture or religion, there
> would *always* be predictions of the "end of the world"
> happening any minute, *because some people need that kind
> of delusional self-importance to feel good about themselves*.

I'm wondering how our ice age ancestors saw things like this,
they must have had such a precarious life that the apocalypse
seemed near constantly. You'd probably need a bit of self-importance
to get through the day.

Funny how we still see everything through this Christian prism,
without writing, how long would these myths last? Long forgotten
by now I should think,or Chinese whispered out of all recognition.
Actually that probably happened anyway given the several hundred
years before the gospels were written. What strange creatures we
are to keep such faith in unlikely and unreliable stories from so
long ago.

As a percentage of human history, the last 2000 years don't account
for much, how many saviours have there been that we completely forgot
about? That's a big problem for the biblical world view because it
assumes the old testament was right and we were just a few generations
from creation. Bit of an oversight not to take that into consideration
now. The idea that God would wait that long before sending a saviour
when we've spent millenia struggling out of Africa and round the globe
seems unlikely to me, but none of the prophets mention any prior
intervention.

As highly unusual as the whole Christian mythos is, none of it stops me
enjoying Christmas, oh no. I'm on my third box of mince pies since advent began.