--- Patrick Gillam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- sparaig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> vali-
> curious
> made.
> > >
> > > There's been attempts. They look at the robbery
> rate
> > > for businesses
> > > with south-facing entrances vs other directions,
> for
> > > instance.
> >
> > This is known as "crap or joke science". The
> > methodology of this type of "research" is so poor
> that
> > it means absolutely nothing.
>
> Are there not statistical means by which researchers
> can
> cull influences other than the variable being
> studied? For
> example, the superradiance research tried to filter
> out weather,
> seasonal cycles of crime and other factors that
> could
> have queered the data.
>
> - Patrick Gillam

Yes, you certainly could do such research, but it
takes lots of time and therefore money. The main
problem is controlling for the unobserved variables
that could influence a lower rate of robberies. You
can "remove" them by controlling for them which would
entail a good research design. Your sample size would
also have to be quite large because most houses are
not robbed, let alone houses in wealthy neighborhoods
where most SV houses are found. It would be
interesting research, but who would fund such research
whos hypothesis (i.e., northern entrances to houses
reduce robberies in those houses) is so
counter-intuitive?

http://mail.yahoo.com