--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu  wrote:

 I would be worried if the simulation was running on Windows.

Me (As me): That got a chuckle! is Friday the 'blue screen
of death'?

 On 12/18/2012 04:39 AM, Share Long wrote:
  Very cool, thanks.  Giving credit to Numb3rs that I was able to follow really
abstract stuff.  As for the last line in the article:  how the heck does he
know for sure that he's not staying up all night worrying about it?! ha ha

  ________________________________
    From: turquoiseb
  To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:58 AM
  Subject: [FairfieldLife] The universe is a computer simulation run by our
descendants

  Living in a simulated world: UW scientists explore the theory
  University of Washington physicists have come
  up with one way to test whether our universe is a giant computer
  simulation being run by our descendants.
  By Katherine Long
  Seattle Times higher education reporter

  It is entirely plausible, says University of Washington physics
  professor Martin Savage, that our universe and everything in it is one
  huge computer simulation being run by our descendants.
  You, me, this newspaper, the room you're sitting in â€" everything we
  think of as reality is actually being generated by vast, powerful
  supercomputers of the future.
  If that sounds mind-blowing, Savage and his colleagues think they've come up
with a way to test whether it's true.
  Their paper, "Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation," has
kindled a lively international discussion about the simulation
  argument, which was first put forth in 2003 by University of Oxford
  philosophy professor Nick Bostrom.
  A UW News posting explaining Savage's paper has gotten more than
  100,000 page views in a week, and ignited theories about the nature of
  reality and consciousness, the limits on computer networks and musings
  about what our future selves might be like.
  Savage has been interviewed by U.S. News & World Report, The
  Australian and journalists in Finland, and his colleague and co-author,
  University of New Hampshire professor Silas Beane, has been interviewed
  by the BBC. UW physics graduate student Zohreh Davoudi also contributed
  to the paper.
  "It's sort of caught fire," Savage said.
  Bostrom, the Oxford professor, first proposed the idea that we live
  in a computer simulation in 2003. In a 2006 article, he said there was
  probably no way to know for certain if it is true.
  Savage â€" who describes his "day job" as doing numerical simulations
  of lattice quantum chromodynamics â€" said a chance discussion among
  colleagues sparked the idea that there was a way to test the truth of
  Bostrom's theory.
  And although it might deviate from the work he usually does, it was a worthy
question because "there are lots of things about our universe we don't fully
understand," Savage said. "This is certainly a different
  scenario for how our universe works â€" but nonetheless, it's quite
  plausible."
  In the paper, the physicists propose looking for a "signature," or
  pattern, in our universe that also occurs in current small-scale
  computer simulations. One such pattern might be a limitation in the
  energy of cosmic rays.
  Because this theory is starting to test the limits of this reporter's
scientific knowledge, we are going to rely on the words of UW News
  science writer Vince Stricherz, who translated the 14-page paper into
  laymen's terms:
  "There are signatures of resource constraints in present-day
  simulations that are likely to exist as well in simulations in the
  distant future, including the imprint of an underlying lattice if one is used
to model the space-time continuum," Stricherz wrote.
  If our world is a computer simulation, "the highest-energy cosmic
  rays would not travel along the edges of the lattice in the model but
  would travel diagonally, and they would not interact equally in all
  directions as they otherwise would be expected to do."
  Got that?
  In other words, even supercomputers capable of creating a simulation
  of the universe would be hobbled by finite resources, and one way we
  might be able to detect those limits is to look for cosmic rays that
  don't travel the way they would be expected to travel.
  Savage and his team are theorists, not experimentalists. They're not
  planning to perform such a test, although other physicists have said
  they're interested in doing so.
  And such a test wouldn't absolutely prove we live in a computer simulation
â€" just that it is possible.
  "It would just be a beginning," Savage said. "It would be curious. It would
stimulate further work."
  As of late last week, the UW News article had sparked a wide-ranging online
discussion, with more than 100 responses.
  Among them:
  "It seems unlikely that someone who could do this would be using the
  same programming techniques that we are currently thinking about. So
  doing this test might prove we are a sim (simulation) of dim-witted
  aliens but could not disprove that we are sims of ones slightly smarter
  than ourselves."
  But â€" "IF we are in a simulation, then the world outside this
  simulated world is quite possibly COMPLETELY different from the world in it.
We may very well be triple-headed, 7-legged cockroach-like
  creatures that decided to run a homo-sapiens simulation for the fun of
  it."
  "You folks take yourselves way too seriously," another wrote. "This is proof
we never should have legalized marijuana."
  Savage believes that at some point in the future, if mankind doesn't
  self-destruct along the way, "we'll try to do simulations of our
  history. We'll create something that looks like our own universe."
  The paper concludes on this note: "There always remains the possibility for
the simulated to discover the simulators."
  If life is a simulation, though, it doesn't bother Savage.
  "I don't stay up at night worrying about it," he said, laughing.