Hey Share,

Nice to hear from you.  I envision you and your Mom engaged in a
pleasant game of Yahtzee. I like that picture.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long wrote:

> Hi Steve, funnily enough I was reading about this on the plane
yesterday.  A wonderful book by Oliver Burkeman the author of
Antidote, his latest essay collection that someone on FFL recommended a
few months ago.  He's very funny as he comments on all kinds of
human foibles, etc.  At one point he says that research indicates
that people tend to make their lives sound different online than they
really are.  Partially it's just a limitation of the medium.
And I'm guessing that the ability to transcend this limitation differs
from individual to individual depending on personality, upbringing, etc.
Well Barry posted that piece written by a critic of a successful
cartoonist.  And it appeared well written, even if it was full of
inaccuracies.  But then you saw a picture of the guy, and learned about
all the weird stuff he had written, and it completely changed the view.

Although this is not really related, something similiar to this happens
to me all the time.  I had to do some shopping at Home Depot last night.
Turns out I left my binder with a bunch of notes and some checks
(already filled out) in the shopping cart.  I didn't realize it until
this morning.  I called the store, and they transferred me to a woman
administrator in the store who told me that they had found it, and to
come in and ask for her.  I envisioned a woman with a professional
appearance and demeanor.  That turned out not to be the case.  And this
happens to me all the time. On the other hand, she came through for me,
and for that I was most grateful.

And of course, there are the avatars people create online.

> And I do think that most of us tend to one kind of writing voice,
probably habit.  Plus some people simply might not think it's
appropriate to share personal info on such a public forum.Â
Naturally I think you have to be very careful about it.  Because people
can be cruel.  But I don't think that is the case the great majority of
the time here. People may feel I was out of line in giving some Ravi
push back regarding things he has disclosed publically about some of his
relationships.  I would have to disagree with that assessment.  And I
don't even feel the need to elaborate more about that.
> AND, I have also noticed the differing amounts of personal disclosure
done by different people.  I have been surprised at my own posting
in this regard.  All grist for the mill (-:Â
> Share in Maryland, missing the Dome
I think, like most things, it is finding the right balance.  What you
hope is that people will try to be helpful when you expose a
vulnerability, and not stomp on you.

Ann, Emily, Curtis, Barry, Share, Jim, Ravi, Alex, Dixon, but I
can't think of anything much you've revealed about your life.
Sure, we know you political views, and, well, its true, you did talk
about your issue with Crones disease, (if I have that straight), but
those details are few and far between given the amount of posting
you do.
> I stand by my observation that you reveal little aboutÂ
yourself, other than your stance on current events, and your other
posting priorities. Â