--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 12/24/2012 09:21 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> > In descending order, as they occur to me, based purely
> > on how much they grabbed me while watching them, and
> > on how strongly the impressions of them stick with me.
> > Your mileage may vary.
> >
> > 1. Breaking Bad, season 5
> > 2. The Bridge, season 1 (Bron/Broen - Danish)
> > 3. Dexter, season 7
> > 4. Game Of Thrones, season 2
> > 5. Homeland, season 2
> > 6. Sherlock, season 2 (British)
> > 7. The Killing (Forbrydelsen III - Danish)
> > 8. The Newsroom, season 1
> > 9. Copper, season 1
> > 10. Borgen, season 2 (The Citadel - Danish)
> > 11. Justified, season 3
> > 12. Downton Abbey, season 3
>
> <snip to>
> Not sure why the Danish version of "The Killing" hasn't at
> least shown up on Netflix.

Money. The producers got a better payoff by allowing it
to be remade as an American series, and don't want DVD
sales cutting into their profits.

The same thing -- sadly -- looks like it is going to
happen with "The Bridge." I've heard that there is an
American ripoff series of it in the works, which prob-
ably means that Americans like yourself ( unless you
upgrade to piracy :-) will never get to see Sofia Helin's
work in the original.

> However there are signs that the public is tiring of
> being strung along year after year on a show as writers
> have a more and more difficult time of keeping story lines
> interesting.  Give me a good movie over a series any day.

You betray your America-conditined sensibilities here.
The Danish filmmakers have said that Forbrydelsen III
is the last of that series they'll ever make. They said
what they had to say, and now they're ready to move on
to new material, and new characters.

What would be SAD is if the producers of "Breaking Bad"
were to allow themselves to be bribed into doing one more
series past next year's expected "last season." THAT
would be "jumping the shark." So would doing the same
thing with "Dexter."

Leave the party when people are still sad to see you go.
Partygoers understand this. Why don't TV producers?

As for preferring movies to TV, I couldn't come up with
a "Top Twelve" movie list I've seen this year if I tried.
There wouldn't be enough films to qualify. TV is where
it's happening these days.