It's New Year's Eve in the Netherlands, and just as they
did last year, the fireworks have started early in the
morning. They're legal here, and unlike the US and other
nations, pretty much everyone has them.

In Amsterdam a few years ago, I was amazed at the sheer
number of fireworks been rolled out. Literally rolled out.
When I arrived there for my first Dutch New Year's Eve,
I saw people rolling these big, red wheels out onto the
streets, the size of monster truck tires, and couldn't
figure out what the heck they were until people started
unrolling them. They were massive strings of firecrackers,
literally thousands of them in each wheel, and when laid
out they extended for ten to twenty meters. When set alight,
they all go off in sequence, creating a cacophony unlike
anything I'd ever heard.

Everybody's got skyrockets, too, so they'll be going off
all day, and pretty much all night. Suffice it to say that
my dogs are not going to be happy about this, and that it
will be difficult to drag them out of the house for their
walkies today.

In France the fireworks were more American-style, meaning
that although a few people had their own, there was one
big city-organized fireworks show at around 10:00 pm. What
made it so spectacular was that living in Sauve, which
essentially hasn't changed all that much since the Middle
Ages, and is still in many ways a medieval village, the
city turned off all the street lights just before the
show began. THAT was magic, wandering around the streets
in total darkness, just the way one would have had to do
back *in* the Middle Ages, the only light coming from the
fireworks overhead.

But the best fireworks shows I ever saw were in Spain. It's
a big fireworks producer, and Sitges just happened to have
a guy living there who was considered a fireworks master,
and was referred to by the Spanish government as a "living
treasure." He staged the most amazing shows I've ever seen,
literally painting pictures in the sky, that would then
shift and move and change, as if they were animated movies.

It's an odd, ephemeral artform. All of the effort of design
and planning, combined with the science of pyrotechnics,
all going into something that is going to last only for a
few seconds, long enough to make people go "Ooooooooo!!!"
I'm not a big fan of the noisy ones, around here loud
enough to be mistaken for bombs, but I like the pretty
ones.

Here's wishing everyone a nice fire-in-the-sky evening
wherever you live, and a Happy New Year. May it be better
than this one was...