On 01/03/2013 08:33 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog"  wrote:
>>

>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck"  wrote:
>>> Trigunaji 1916- 1 Jan 2013
>>>
>> In honor of Trigunaji's passing,
> Interesting start to a story that seems to underline the whole
> ayurveda story to me. It doesn't work.
>

>> Triguna's herbs were bitter. I managed to get the herbs past my taste buds
>> by mixing them with a small shot of tea, bolting it down and then chasing it
>> with a big cup of tea.  Never drink anything is India that isn't boiled.
>> Anyway, the herbs didn't seem to work and I ended up taking Western
>> medicine, which knocked out the bug in my "bad bowel."
> Taking western medicine Raunchy, very shrewd. I've always thought that
> experimenting with auyrveda (and all alternative health scams) was fine *as
> long as there is nothing wrong with you* I know people that would still be
> alive if they hadn't swallowed, hook line and stinker, the whole "perfect
> science of health" bit that Marshy via Triguna was plugging.
>
> In fact I know someone who is very seriously ill because he eschewed
> anti-biotics in favour of stone age hopefulness. Upon becoming ill he
> took himself off to Marshy's favourite ayurveda clinic where, after a
> predictably large fortune had been spent -and a cure not forthcoming- he was
> told "there must be some doubt in you". Good medicine!
>
> Still, there's always the yagya programme to fall back on. Throwing
> good money after bad IMO but when you truly believe this stuff what
> else can you do? The TMO abandoned common sense a long time ago, leave
> it in the hands of the gods! Might as well as spend any more money
> on ayurveda . My friend will probably die a long slow miserable death and
> everyone will rationalise it in the usual way and blame it on his "planets"
> or rakshasas or something similarly untestable.
>
> Sometimes I think a crime is being committed but maybe it's just
> the crime of stupidity. After all we are intelligent people who
> are free to make choices based on evidence or beliefs. Seems a shame that an
> org like the TMO with its proclaimed belief in science has such a shaky
> superstitious core lying just beneath the surface, they
> might be in a position to help people by recommending they go to
> a proper doctor instead of clinging to the dream that they have all
> the answers by taking your pulse and telling you to stare at the
> moon.
>
> So why all the reverence? Would you really want to live in a world
> where ayurveda was the only method of healthcare? Anyone?
>

>> Jai Guru Dev, Trigunaji, rest in peace.

Having studied ayurveda and even done an ayurvedic tour of India, I beg
to differ.  Maybe the difference is that I had an MD as an ayurvedic
doctor.  In fact I got his name from MAPI when I called to get a list of
ayurvedic doctors in the SF Bay Area.  However this MD had not only
taken the MA doctor's course but Dr. Lad's as well.   I also took some
weekend workshops with a number of ayurvedic practitioners including Dr.
Robert Svoboda.

There are a lot of "cures" and "treatments" in allopathic disease
maintenance that parallel ayurveda or probably even owe their roots to
it and Chinese medicine.  This time of year we would usually take some
off the shelf cough and cold measures that have their roots in such
medicine.  The now defamed ephedrine is of course a synthetic derivation
of the herb ephedra which is used in Chinese medicine and ayurveda was
the principle decongestant in these.  It's defamed only because meth
cookers would buy it in bulk to make meth.  Now, if you want it you have
to register your purchase.  Of course, ephedra grows all over the US as
a weed.

However due to ayurveda, unless I screw up somehow, I don't have to
reach for such a concoction.  If I start to experience even the
slightest sing of cold, cough or flu and little homemade kapha tea ( 1
part ginger, 1 part cinnamon, dash clove) will make it do a quick exit.
Adding a little black pepper will speed it up too.  Recipe courtesy of
Dr. Lad who has a lot of kitchen cures like that.

Don't forget that "medicine for profit" Big Pharma patented the herb
neem.  Something outraged folks in India so they put together an
organization to patent all their herbs to keep corporations from doing
so.  I suspect big pharma would disagree with you about whether ayurveda
really works.

Allopathic doctors are good for broken bones or other emergency
measures.  Most have little training in nutrition.  Most are merely drug
pushers for big pharma who isn't interested in curing a disease because
there's too much money in just maintenancing it.  I think of all the
billions raised over the years for those "cure" telethons and none of
those diseases are anywhere near cured.  Big pharma thanks all the marks
for that money.  By all rights a lot of those diseases should be history
by now.  A lot of them are curable with alternative medicine.

And ayurveda isn't the only alternative form of medicine I've studied
but also Chinese in the form of macrobiotics (and not just the "eat
brown rice thang") and also metabolic typing which continues to be an
interest.  BTW, I recently bought Dr. Harold Kristal's "The Nutrition
Solution" which I think has the best explanation of metabolic typing.  I
found that book at Amazon and decided since I really didn't need a
pristine copy of it to get it used for 42 cents (plus $3.99 shipping).
The book arrived as if it had never even been thumbed through just as
good as new.

Capitalism has done a lot of damage and it has particularly ruined
healthcare.