> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > The recognized Shankaracharya (the one most here seem to prefer)
> > > referred to MMY as an ashram clerk. The rumor was that this clerk
> > > managed to conspire with a cook to kill Gurudev. AFter the will
> > > wasproduced, this clerk was so powerful as to get the first guy
> on
> > > the list proclaimed Shankaracharya overthe protestations (if you
> > > believe what everyone here appears to) liaterally everyother
> disciple
> > > of Gurudev besides MMY and the cook.
> > >

> > The cook was Shantanand, I beleive, who was first on the list, and
> > became Shankarachara --  so it was a bit more interesting, with a
> > thicker plot --  than your account suggests.
> >
> > Don't mistake this as an endorsement of all of the rumored details
> of
> > said plot. But I think that Shantanand was GD's cook is the best
> > established of the facts. And MMY was his clerk, aka secretary.
> >
> > And it appears from some testimony regarding the will, that GD was
> not
> > very lucid in his last days. Plausibly the effect of sudden poisons
> > introduced.
> >
> > I am not sure "power", as you argue, would be the issue in this
> > circumstance, tho again i am not arguing for the validity of the
> > "plot". But hypothetically, if a signed "list" appeared, it would
> give
> > enough nominal clearance during the chaos of GD's passing, to
> enable a
> > new shankaracharaya to be rushed into GD's quarters. Which is what
> > happened. Then it became a game of "possession is 9/10s of the
> law".
> >
> > And GD's clerk or secretary would be the person to prepare such a
> > list. And could have had GD sign it, at GD's request, or in the
> > confusion of his non-lucidity, if that occurred.
>
> Others have claimed that Shantayanda was NOT a cook, but whatever.
>
> As I said, making the cook the spiritual leader is traditional in
> some religions, but not the Brahmin-dominated Hindus. Of COURSE this
> caused massive protesting in some quarters. A cook???!!!?

I am not arguing for or against. Or for or against cooks. But by most
accounts that I have heard,  Shantanand was said to be a sweet, pious
man, but with not much training in vedic literature or sanskrit. In
that aspect, he failed one of the three requirements for the job. But
perhaps I have not heard correctly, or the full story.